Thursday, February 16, 2006

And now for something entirely different -- here's something you can do that is very portable, and allows for a LOT of knitting with no thinking. As you see, I have knit almost a full ball of sock yarn into a long tube. I'll go ahead and knit it right down to the last bit, and then I'll knit a toe onto the end (with different yarn; I have some plain dark navy that should work fine). Then I'll take the tube apart in its very middle. The place where I take it apart will be the top of one sock and the toe of the other. Knit the second toe, put heels in them, top 'em off, hey presto, another pair of socks.


This method, of course, leaves all the nasty thinking bits for the end (which would be why they are still a tube, rather than finished socks....), but I enjoyed all the stress-free mindless knitting on several different trips, last fall. Bamboo needles, project carried around in a plastic Chinese take-out box (rather than the very cool metal Whitman's sampler box I usually use to protect my needles when not in use), and airport xrays are no problem. I'm thinking I'll pick up these socks and finish 'em once my Olympic socks are done.

You all probably figured out what that odd object is at the right bottom corner of the previous pic. It's the leading end of my Corgi boy, who has to be right where Mom is, preferably participating in whatever activity is planned.

No comments: