Tuesday, October 17, 2006

thoughts about bread

I've been reading a couple of books about bread, lately. They are intended for verrrry serious bread bakers, and are obsessive about many aspects of bread making.

That sort of focus has its place.

But.

Bread making is one of those nearly fool-proof tasks that just about everyone *had* to be able to do in order to survive. All that worry about the *right* yeast and the *right* water and the *right* salt (nevermind the *right* flour!) makes me tired before I ever begin.

Bread needs water, flour, yeast, and salt (and I suppose some would argue about the salt). I usually add a little fat and a little sugar, as the bread keeps better, and if I'm going to all that trouble, I want more than one day's worth out of the deal!

I hate to see people who might like to try it be intimidated by rules and constraints and "requirements."

If you have remembered the basic four ingredients, it's very hard to ruin bread.

You might want to get someone who has some experience run you through it the first time, but if you don't know anyone to ask, give it a shot. I bet your first loaves will be delicious...............

No comments: