Thursday, January 18, 2007

If you are going to burn the toast,

the advice from here is: Don't Burn it in the Bathroom.



Yesterday we had more crews (two at once), and more guys working on the garage than we've had at any other point in this (looooooooooong) process.

I was really excited to see all these guys working on *my* house/garage.

Until I realized that what I was getting, besides wires, was siding.

Sigh. I mean, in the long run, we want siding over the tyvek. Sure. And -- it's going to be lovely to have a light on the back of the garage that I can turn on from inside the house. Very true.

But right now, what's going to float my boat is an accessible, enclosed back yard. Shelter for the car, so we don't have to scrape ice off dozens of square feet of glass before we can drive anywhere. A safe way for a person to approach our house from the front.

As we've never seen a list detailing what has to happen in what order (though we have asked, specifically, for same), we don't know if things *have* to happen in the order they are happening, for arcane reasons that would not occur to those uninitiated in the construction trades.

It's frustrating when no one shows up to work on our project, and it's frustrating that when they do, they do stuff that is very low on *my* list of priorities....

Ah well. Reminding myself that I have had neither kidney stones nor an emergency appendectomy in the last two weeks, nor am I homeless (carless, wardrobe-less) because my allergies will not allow me to walk into my house (drive my car, wear my clothes) without suffering. We have power, unlike an awful lot of people who have also experienced this ice storm.

The toast?

Our family room has a wall of windows which look out on ... the garage. I felt funny about eating in front of all these people to whom I was not going to be offering my cranberry pecan toast. So I took the toaster upstairs, and made toast in the bathroom.

I had put one slice back in for a bit more toasting when the electrician called me to find him a broom and dustpan to clean up the mess in the house from putting in switches for all the lights on the outside of the garage.

When I came back up, I was sad to find my lovely bread utterly charred.

And, of course, all the towels in the bathroom, and the carpeting, are now full of the stink of burnt toast.

Sigh.

At least I wasn't in the bedroom, eh?

1 comment:

I need orange said...

Oh dear. Years. Oh dear.

I remember when Steve said it took a year or nearly that long for his dog to no longer smell like skunk, I thought, "yeah, right."

Well, yeah, right. I know, now, of my own sad experience...... Wilbur is such a smart dog, in some ways, but he's been skunked three times in our yard. None of the corgis have ever gotten skunked..... In the same yard, over the same set of years.......

The bathroom didn't smell, that much, this morning, until we had showers and got the air all damp. Then it was pretty stinky.

Sigh.

We misplaced a gallon of milk in the back of the minivan one winter.

A gallon of Pet-tastic later, the smell was *mostly* gone......

Now we're pretty assiduous about counting those gallons ('twas partly a too-many-car-unloaders problem -- the person putting them in the fridge did not go to the store, and no one noticed that one fewer came in than had been purchased).