Friday, January 05, 2007

Studio Friday -- choosing a name

Studio Friday's challenge this week is Choosing your Mature Artist Name.

Susan suggested this theme:

This week's subject seems appropriate for the New Year. In fact that is what I was thinking when I suggested it! Here's what I wrote - "I've been reading Twyla Thorpe's book The Creative Habit and here's an idea from her book - "the ancient masters of Japanese art were allowed to change their names once in their lifetime. They had to be very selective about the moment in their career when they did so. They would stick with their given name until they felt they had become the artist they aspired to; at that point they were allowed to change their name. For the rest of their life, they would work under that name at the height of their powers." So let's presume we are at the height of our careers - what name would you choose and why?"

I, too, have been reading the very same book. (I recommend it!)

So let's see. What name would I choose?

I am not crazy about being a 50-something adult person with a cute diminutive nickname.

Victoria is a nice solid name, and the success part of the meaning is just fine. I'd rather it wasn't a feminine version of a male name...............

I guess I'd go with Victoria (and do, generally, when I'm introducing myself in new situations).

As for last name...................

For a long time, I have thought that it would be very cool if we all hyphenated our names. Babies would take the "father-line" name from their dad's name, and the "mother-line" name from their mom's name. That way we would all have a strand of our mother's heritage in our names, as well as having our father's.

As an example, Ann Sallysdaughter-Thomsdaughter and Mark Bettyson-Richardson's new daughter would be Madison Sallysdaughter-Richardsdaughter. Not that the names would all end in -daughter or -son (though a lot of names people use now do take just that form), but just to show the pattern......

Getting from here to there is not really do-able, unless we just start somewhere and pretend that the father-line name our mothers or grandmothers had was our mother-line, or if we were to make something up for our mother-line name.....

I think it would be so cool if we had both names -- imagine looking back at your family tree -- there would be twice as much name-heritage-information........

5 comments:

Artful Creations by Tracie said...

Wow you've completely confused the pants off of me! I think you've dove deeply into this one!! LOLOL!!!

Anonymous said...

I love your idea for last names - it has always been a struggle for me and for many women. Wouldn't it be nice not to have to change it? Actually I've always used my own name at work and my married name everywhere else.
Great plan..now if you can convince the rest of the world!

I need orange said...

Well, of course, one doesn't *have* to change it..... :-) I didn't.... DH has his name, I have my name, and our daughter is hyphenated.....

I feel that the whole "change your name to match his" thing is just too much a reminder of the time when women were chattel. When you were your father's property, you had his name, and when you became your husband's property, you had *his* name...............

Ick. Ok, stepping off soapbox, quick, before I start frothing at the mouth about historical (traditional!) inequalities.....

As to convincing the world of the elegant sense of my proposal :-), I figure each time I bring up the possibility of everyone having both father-line and mother-line names, at least the rest of the world has a chance to recognize the beauty ;-) of the plan.

Anonymous said...

I didn't change my last name when I married, but our boys have their father's last name. Our names did not sound very mellifluous when hyphenated!

Victoria is very regal, and yet...sexy. Have fun with that one!

I need orange said...

Thanks. I think. :-)

Hadn't thought of retaining a girlie name as an act of charity..... :-) Not sure the name is worthy of dignity and power (though glad to be thought of as having same!)....

So, um, you should be Bets? I just can't see Lizzie......