Monday, September 08, 2008

September 5, Saline fair, animals

.

Let's go see the animals that are competing in this fair.

This is what I'm talking about.





Do you believe that I never saw that they had matching hair?

It's true. This is what I was focusing on. The girl could just have well have been a hitching post, for all the attention I paid her. This is a Halflinger. Wishing I could run my hand down that smooth round warmth.........

Study in monochromes.



I love horses....................

Ok. Moving reluctantly on. (Once I get situated, looking at horses, I can stay, content, for quite a long time.........)



More monochromes. Chocolate-chip/caramel marshmallow rabbit (my name for it, not the official one, as far as I know.)





Velvet rabbit (again, my own take rather than an official designation). Don't you long to sink your fingers into that fur.......... (Always assuming the rabbit actually wanted to be petted and didn't rather bite you!)

(I noted that any rabbits who had boards in their cages were positioned on the boards, and concluded that anyone bringing their rabbit to show should bring a board for comfortable resting!)





This handsome guy was hanging out with his girlfriend. I could stick the camera right up to the bars and get a decently-without-bars shot of anyone against the rear of the cage, but this fellow was not interested in the back, no, he was ready for his closeup.....





"A Million Bars," or, "Roosters, in Black and White". I was trying to get the stripey one in the foreground, and never noticed until I got home that his nearest neighbors were black and then white.....

This one shot had all of them heads-up and facing one side or the other.





This one's coloring is similar to the one in the closeup, but that one's tail feathers curved down rather than standing straight up.





Donkeys.





These two were named Chip and Dale, I think, indicating that they are a pair and spend plenty of time together, but they were snarking at each other while I was there. The one on the left is about to tell the other to get out of his face.....





A brand-new chicken.





Some slightly older chickens. I never thought for a moment these shots would come out. It was dark, the glass was dirty.......... Just goes to show -- "take the pic!" You Never Know.

The one in the left corner is about to tell the one looking at him to quit pecking his beak..........





Companionable napping.

I didn't see any contention amongst the pigs, but almost all of them had fresh scratches that looked suspiciously like bite marks.

Travel is stressful, and when you didn't ask to go, and are on display for hundreds of clueless gawkers, well, sometimes you just have to bite your cagemate. I can see that.



Look at the hurricane whorl of hair growing in a circle just where the bigger one's jaw meets the neck......

.

2 comments:

dreameyce said...

Yes, the bunnies really DO prefer something solid to sit on. I'm a firm believer in solid flooring for buns to rest on :)

Great pics! I was amused by the matching hair too!

I need orange said...

Thanks!

I wouldn't want to be on wire grating, if I could help it. Makes sense to me the bunnies prefer the wood....