Thursday, August 26, 2010

August 26 -- on our way up to Carcassonne's walled city

.

A clear blue day that was predicted for low 90s (F).





Of course we had to start the day by checking out the market.

I didn't pay much attention to these beans when I took the pic, but they don't look too yummy in their current state -- I wonder if this is the sort of bean that gets dried and then finds its way into cassoulet?

Wish I'd paid a bit more attention at the time! "Roux" sounds reddish -- wish I'd taken a look to see what color the beans are, inside those pods (which do show some reddish places...)....





One of my regrets (all small!) from this trip -- I didn't try any olives.... Wish I had tried a few of these.





I saw no cactus. I wonder if these are local, and sort of bet they're not.





Look at all the different onions and garlics! I want to try them all, to see how they differ......




We bought one of these red bell peppers, and it was delicious.





These are the beans that look yummy now.....





Dropping our purchases off in our hotel room. This is the view from our bathroom. Very pleasant (and don't you like the little tassels on the curtains?).





The walled city is across the river from the older part of the flat part of the city.





I'm glad I got the sun-flare ... it was a hot day.





Part of the flat city.





The walled city is on top of a hill. And not that close to our current location.....





These are dwellings, on the right, I am pretty sure. Wouldn't that be a spectacular place to live? Across the river from the walled city?







This harsh morning light is hard to work with.





Wending our way up the hill.

Can you see the woman in the building at left? She has her hand in the cage with her parakeets -- as far as I could see, there was nothing stopping them from escaping right on out that window........





A better look.

That thing on the windowsill looked to me to be a chicken leg.

Seems unlikely, but............





Modern day gargoyle.





Paintings on the wall to entertain people as the climb, climb, climb up to the walled city.





In order to facilitate chronological traverse of these posts, here is a link to the post that comes after this one.

.

3 comments:

morningbrayfarm said...

Everything seems so alive and full of character. I love that you spent so much time in markets! Umm... that looked like a chicken leg to me too. :)

I need orange said...

So different from here......

Love markets. :-)

I just love going in all the places to shop, in a different place.

What do they have that we don't have? How are things arranged? Etc.

In France, it is usual for things to be separated out into different shops, rather than all available at the megamart. Pharmacy things in one shop (tweezers, say). Food in another. Shoes in a third. Etc.

I suspect this is getting blurrier all the time. Monoprix is a grocery we used often, in different cities. A big Monoprix, like the one in Tours near our hotel, has clothes (I bought socks :-) ) and other things, as well as food.

(ed note: all the green crosses you saw in Bayonne marked pharmacies)



Looked just like a chicken leg to me, too. Sort of creeped out..... ... Why, on the window sill ...??? Going to feed a vulture? Or??????

I need orange said...

Many things about that one little vignette with the woman and her parakeets were very ... puzzling, I thought.