Friday, August 27, 2010

August 27 -- shifting from Carcassonne to Bordeaux

.

Another look at the view out our hotel windows.





You knew we'd make one more shopping stop, so we had edibles for the train......

These fancy breads reminded me of the cruise ship....











The Canal du Midi runs between the part of Carcassonne with the market (and our hotel) and the train station.

In 1985, my parents and some of their friends took a trip through the Canal du Midi on a houseboat that may have been something like this.....







Turning most of 180 degrees toward what must be upstream..... It looks like they are filling the lock so someone can come down.







Flowers in front of the station.





Ever'body like zinnias.





This was another train ride which yielded a lot of not-totally-blurry pics.

Grapes!





More grapes. Wonder what was in that field that now is bare......





The tall pointy skinny trees remind me of pictures of Tuscany.





I wonder if this is fennel.......





I wish I had taken pics of all the location signs in the train stations. It would be interesting to know where, more or less, these pics were taken...........





There were a bunch of soldiers(?) on our train.





I was interested to see the diversity.





I believe they were new; an officer helped one guy get his beret on properly....





Heading on toward Bordeaux.

I love it when I can get a variety of little tomatoes. These were very good. I think I liked the elongated red ones best.















I would be glad to float down the canal!











We saw lots of these little trees, planted close. I wondered what they would become...... Lots of produce (as you could see in the market pics) is shipped in wooden crates. Maybe wood for crates?









I didn't see much irrigation, but did see it here and there.





This is kind of a messy landscape pic.





Let's go for a couple of tighter crops from the pic above.





Note how I deftly avoided the worst of the window glare in the upper right of the original. :-)







Pretty blurry, but I wanted to show you what looked to me like new construction. Similar in feel to what we've been seeing all along -- the stucco, the tile -- but ... I wonder now if that is a carport? Haven't seen anything like that.....





In order to facilitate chronological traverse of these posts, here is a link to the post that comes after this one.

.

No comments: