Friday, November 30, 2012

taking notes

.

I breezed through high school without ever needing to learn how to take notes or study.

This was not good -- college was a lot harder than it would have been, if I'd had a clue how to work at learning stuff.  As it was, I sort of figured it out on my own, but never felt really comfortable that I had a handle on ways of enabling deliberate learning of stuff that didn't come naturally.

In the intervening years, I've read several times that the act of taking notes is useful for retaining information.

I took copious notes for Model Thinking.  Maybe more notes than I took the entire time I was working on my BA!

The checkered book had some stuff in it before I took the class.  I cut that out and pitched it, which is irrelevant, except to say the book was not entirely available to use.  And the second book is not filled up entirely, but mostly.



I never developed a system for taking notes, before, so I was starting from scratch.  I bought a bunch of stick-on tabs.  Purple is for section beginnings, yellow is for vocabulary, orange is for questions I had, and blue is for readings.



You can see that my tab usage changed, over time.



I found the purple section-heading tabs to be very useful. When I was looking for something specific, I could find that part of my notes more easily, given the purple tabs.

The yellow vocabulary tabs were pretty much useless.  I discovered that what I needed to do, so I could actually FIND things, was put the vocabulary (along with explanations and section numbers) into a spreadsheet, so I could alphabetize it *or* see it in the order in which it was presented.

The readings mostly just repeated what was said in the lectures (with more math).  I started skimming them, rather than taking notes on them.

 I still used the orange tabs, but gave up on getting answers to my questions.  When there are 92,000 of you in class, you can't expect to get answers to your own personal questions...................

Notice how they are bunched -- there was one section I found to be particularly opaque...........



Moving onward.  Another composition book, with my handy Chinese food container, corralling note-taking aids.



I mark section topics and important stuff in purple.

I mark my own personal statements in green.  This helps me keep track of what *he* said vs what *I* said.  Not that it's hard to tell in the case of "as if," but sometimes I want to keep straight that something is my synopsis or commentary (just in case I'm wrong!).  I put quotes around statements that are direct quotes from either the slides or the lecture.

(It's interesting -- and predictable, when you think about it... -- that the Think Again prof is very precise in his language.  He never says "quotes" when he means "quotation marks".....)



I still mark vocabulary with yellow, but don't bother with tabs.  After several lectures, I go back and put the vocabulary into a spreadsheet.  I found this to be good review for exams, in Model Thinking.


In the whole of Model Thinking, there was only one thing I had to go back to a video to check.  Everything else I needed to look up was in my notes.

Yay.

Old dogs CAN learn new tricks.

.

2 comments:

jennifer black said...

Hey! You are in the class. That's cool. It's been interesting so far. Of course, I've only watched 5 videos and done those exercises so far (gonna do two more today).

Because one of my main goals is to experience this class with an eye on what it feels like to be the student in an online class (instead of the professor), I'm also keeping notes on those types of things. It might prove confusing. ;-)

P.S. Did you get the sign language question right? I was thinking too literally and missed it, dagnabbit.

P.P.S. Great view of your notes. Love hearing your thoughts about them. I'm glad I'm not the only one taking notes in the class. I was feeling a bit dorky-taking notes in a free, no credit class. ;-)

Oh--have you been to the forums? I went a couple of times but they are just too ... much ... for me to feel inclined to join in. Have you?

I need orange said...

>Hey! You are in the class. That's cool. It's been interesting so far. Of course, I've only watched 5 videos and done those exercises so far (gonna do two more today).


I agree, interesting!!!

I finished the last (optional) one yesterday. it's interesting, comparing this class to Model Thinking. Model Thinking moved much faster (about twice as much content per week!), and was more opaque to me as I'd forgotten how to do algebra.......... I had to write down EVERYTHING, in the hope that it would become clear later.

In Model Thinking, the tricky picky parts that required precision were the numbers. The prof was much less careful and precise in his language.

In Think Again, it's all about the language, so it's tricky and picky in different ways.............



>Because one of my main goals is to experience this class with an eye on what it feels like to be the student in an online class (instead of the professor), I'm also keeping notes on those types of things. It might prove confusing. ;-)


More colors are called for, I think.......... :-)



>P.S. Did you get the sign language question right? I was thinking too literally and missed it, dagnabbit.


Nope, I missed it, too. Like you, too literal. :-)



>P.P.S. Great view of your notes.


Thanks. :-) I was thinking of the notes as drudgery, until I thought of adding color. :-) The tabs and the colored pencils make me happy. :-)


>Love hearing your thoughts about them. I'm glad I'm not the only one taking notes in the class. I was feeling a bit dorky-taking notes in a free, no credit class. ;-)


Ah but what is the point? If my point is to learn the material (rather than to get a grade or get credit or get a certificate!!! ;-) ), then I'm going to behave pretty much as I might behave if I needed that 4-point to get into Harvard grad school........... When I'm doing it because I want to do it, it's only myself I cheat if I don't give an honest effort. Sort of like slacking in yoga....................


>Oh--have you been to the forums? I went a couple of times but they are just too ... much ... for me to feel inclined to join in. Have you?



Yes. I liked being in the forums in Model Thinking. There was one time when I was totally baffled by part of the one lecture I had found the most accessible. I am good at spatial relations, and the lecture was on networks. My usual reaction to the lectures was "Ok. Ok. Ok. WHAT? What? WHAT? Ok..........???" My reaction to the network lecture was "Yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, of course, yep, WHAT?????? Yep, yep, of course, of course, of course."

One of my classmates was able to straighten me out (the images in the lectures were so small that I had missed some of what was going on). That was excellent, and also excellent was the fact that he was clearly not a native speaker of English. The whole "how cool to be part of a class of 92,000!!!" thing.....

The forums in Think Again are even more impossibly crowded and full of noise ("firehose of words" is not adequate -- "Niagara of words" is closer).............

And yet. I have been active in a lively thread about "can non-human animals argue?" (Well, *we* define "language", and *we* define "argument" as requiring language, so, at this point, it is not demonstrable that non-human animals argue............................)

There is a Coursera class called Modern Poetry, and a lot of people who are taking Think Again took Modern Poetry. There is a thread on whether nonsense is still nonsense if it is poetry........... I'm finding the conversation in that thread really interesting, too.

So glad you are taking the course! :-)