Monday, December 17, 2012

December 13

.

The 13th was a gorgeous day.  Low 40s (F) -- "unzipped winter coat" weather, if you were moving right along.

I walked downtown to have lunch with a friend.

Big sky, over West Park.




This big bird was rather tree-colored.  I don't know that I would have spotted it, but I saw it land (with a flash of creamy wings).

When I walked to yoga on the 12th, I saw a bat flying back and forth over the pond in the park.  The pond was nearly frozen (one 10' circle unfrozen).  The bat skimmed very near the surface (over the frozen part, mostly if not entirely), then flew back to the other side of the pond, and skimmed over the surface again.  Several times, while I watched.

I think of bats as warm-weather critters; I was surprised to see it.  I hope it is ok; I know we needs bats to help keep insects in check!

The hawk above was also over the pond, but a lot higher up.



I enjoyed lunch with my friend.  After lunch, I bought provisions (rice, popcorn, oatmeal, nuts) at the bulk food store.  I walked back west, up the hill, to catch the bus home.  (Rice is heavy, have you noticed?, and popcorn even more so!)

When I got home, Willard and I did our mosey.  It occurred to me you'd only seen him from behind, for quite a while.  Here's a side view.



Mum, still stalwartly blooming.



Wilbur, again.

When I had my first corgi, in the early 1980s, essentially no one recognized her as a corgi.  Now corgis are so much more in people's minds that people very often think Burt is a corgi.  Um.  No.

It seems odd to me that more people misidentify him as a corgi, now, than recognized Molly was a corgi, in the 1980s.

His coloration is perfect, for a red&white corgi.  His coat could pass for a corgi coat, and his tail could pass for a corgi tail.  Aside from that, he really doesn't look like a corgi.  If he weren't red, I suspect no one would think he looks like a corgi.

It's not a good thing that corgis are so much more well known than in the past.  It means there are a LOT more corgis who end up in shelters, alas.

Corgis are cute; they surely are.  But they shed like crazy, and they tend to be barky.  They get bored easily, and when they entertain themselves, they may do something like tear up the couch or get into the garbage.....  And did I mention the shedding? 

Corgis are not dogs for the faint of heart, or for those who are not able and willing to become educated about dog training, and then willing and able to apply that education.......



Burt is actually a much easier dog than most corgis.  But he's one of a kind.

Moseying on......


.

3 comments:

penni said...

Corgis shed, they are creative, they need jobs. I find the Cardis are not as barky as the pems, but -- yep -- they bark. I still can't imagine going without -- I do put in a lot of dog time to keep them (and me) sane.

I need orange said...

Yep.

I probably should have mentioned -- "A tired dog is a good dog" and whould have said that corgis have more energy than many other breeds......

Remembering the time we were dogsitting a friend's flatcoated retriever. Tramp, the flatcoat, was asleep on the couch, while I threw a ball for Molly, the Pembroke corgi, through the house.

I was really surprised. Molly could no more have slept through someone else retrieving, right in the same room, than she could have slept through dinner. Yet here was this Official Retriever, sleeping away...........

Weird.

My dogsitter loves to tell the story of the time she was taking care of my Sophie (another Pem). The sitter did dog walking as well as sitting, and she would take Sophie with her to walk other dogs. One she was throwing a ball in Buddy's back yard, for Buddy and Sophie. Buddy was a Labrador. At one point Sophie ran right under Buddy to get the ball.

Buddy could to faster, if he tried, but Sophie had more drive, and because she cared more, she got the ball more often.....

thecrazysheeplady said...

I always say there is a reason God made corgis so cute ;-).