Saturday, April 13, 2013

April 13 -- Florence's central market

.

This poster is hung inside the market.



Risotto kits.  I'm sure they're not as tasty as making your own from scratch, but I still find these tempting, looking at them now.  I strongly suspect this is very good marketing!

I love risotto............

Carciofi is artichoke, aspargi is asparagus, and risotto milanese has saphron.....  Google says seppia can be cuttlefish -- I'll bet the black one has cuttlefish ink in it.  I've seen lots of black pasta in Italy, but this is the first time I'd seen black rice.  I'd pass on that particular kit....



Nuts and dried fruits.



Bread.



Fancy cookies.



Oranges.



Strawberries.



Tomatoes.  I wonder if these are delicious......



More dried fruits, including orange slices.



Mushrooms.



Hams.  It's not a surprise that different regions have their own different ways to make ham.



Oh my.  Aren't these fancy and appealing!

On the other hand, when someone spends a lot of time and energy making food pretty, I wonder how much attention was devoted to making it delicious.  Sometimes the focus is on looks rather than taste...... Being beautiful doesn't make up for a lack of flavor, in my humble.  (as always, click on any image to embiggen)



Bread.



Flowers.



Isn't this beautiful?  Thinking about what I just said about beauty over flavor.....  I suspect this isn't particularly tasty.

It makes me think of ribbon candy, which I have never enjoyed eating.  It's pretty, but not tasty -- eating it ruins the pretty, with no gain, as far as I can tell.  (Google says lingue di suocera means mother-in-laws' tongues.....)



Tagliatelle.  I bet this is tastier than the fancy stripey stuff above.



Getting our coffee at a coffee bar in the market.....




I was just thinking of Calvin and Hobbes, and days being "just packed," and here's a face Calvin might make -- one eye  big, one eye squinched, and tongue out...........

Bread with olives.

I ate this on the bus to Sienna.  It was ok.  Not wonderful.




In order to facilitate chronological traversal of these posts, here is a link to the next post.

.

No comments: