Monday, April 15, 2013

April 14 -- Duomo and breakfast

.

My daughter was to join a fine-food-buyers' tour in Milan on the 16th.  We would shift to Milan on the 15th -- the 14th was our last day in Florence.

Duomo in the morning sun.



One of the reasons I find it frustrating when I can't take pics is that I remember things better if I have pics to jog my memory.  Another is that I can look more closely at things when my pics are "on the big screen" than I can when I am there in person.

Part of the campanile.



 If I don't have pics, I can't look at a closer crop of the image above.  I can't see to appreciate the delicate carving on a slender column.



The front of the Duomo.



 The next three images are closer crops of the one above.





Walking away from the Duomo, happy that I am able to see all of those details.



Buddies.  I love dapple grays.....



More buddies.



On our way to breakfast.



Chiaroscuro has tables.  And a coffee menu.

I was so surprised to see Kopi Luwak!  I had heard of it in The Bucket List, but I thought it was a joke!  I was so surprised to find out Kopi Luwak is real.

Google says this translates as "the beans are ingested and evacuated by the Luwak, small rodents of Indonesian forests, whose gastric enzymes are able to give the coffee an extraordinary aroma, chocolatey, and full-bodied without equal."

Hmmm.  "Extraordinary" and "without equal" -- talk about equivocating..............  Nowhere does it indicate anyone thinks it tastes *good*...................

I think I'll pass.  Wikipedia says the animals in question live in horrid conditions as they process the coffee beans...................  Sheesh.  I liked it better as a joke........



Turning our thoughts to something that is actually tasty...........   I wish I had one of these, right now......



Mmmmmm.



One of our plans for the day was to visit the interior of the Baptistry, so we headed back in that direction.  Wouldn't it be fun to see the insides of these, too?



I wonder if that is a little private bridge between these two buildings, or if it's just a buttress.....



Infrastructure, being updated.



In order to facilitate chronological traversal of these posts, here is a link to the next post.

.

No comments: