Monday, August 26, 2013

bombarded with coolness

.

Yesterday I really felt like I was being bombarded by cool things to learn about.  All of those SmithsonianMag articles I mentioned yesterday, and then cool stuff on PBS..... 

After the nanotechnology NOVA, I found a PBS show about the venture capitalists who helped a whole bunch of electronics entrepreneurs get funded (and get going -- those venture capitalists were very hands-on in all kinds of ways!).  Intel.  Apple.  Cisco.  Atari.  Tandem.  (It's eery how much Ashton Kutcher looks like Steve Jobs!)

Apparently starting a new business was MUCH harder in the 50s and 60s than it is now, and the whole concept of "venture capital" was basically unknown.  Everyone saw the risk, but only a very few people saw the opportunity.....

That was really interesting, too (a lot of stuff I'd never thought about.......), and I ended up staying up till 12:30 this morning, watching it all unfold.

.

No comments: