Sunday, September 08, 2013

September 5

.

Walking downtown to have lunch with my buddies from work.

Hibiscus.




Canadian Tiger Swallowtail?  I hope it left behind many fertile eggs, so we can see a next generation!



Walking through West Park, on a perfectly gorgeous day.



Oooh, look!  There's a heron in the pond!  I have seen one here, once before, walking to yoga on a rainy day.



And now for something completely different -- I'm downtown, looking into a building which is undergoing some serious reconstruction.  There's no wall or window between inside and outside, here, and as you can see, the ground-floor floor is more of a suggestion than a rule.....



Here's some more of the same building.  I believe there will be a restaurant here.  I hope it's a good one!



My buddies and I had lunch in a new place.  The food was pretty good, but it was noisy, and the few chairs which had backs were with a counter that was so much higher than the chairs that my food was just below the level of my chin.....

It was fun to talk about Coursera classes.  For the first time, I have local friends in my classes.  One of my work friends is in Think Again, and the other had just signed up for The History of Rock.  So we talked about music, and we talked about reasoning and thinking.  Excellent.



I walked with them, back toward work.  Hey, look!  I haven't seen a weinermobile in a really long time!  I saw one, once, many years ago, in Warsaw, Indiana.  I don't know if these sell any meat products, but they're fun to see.



I like the reflections on the side of the car....




I bid my friends adieu, and walked home on one of my regular walking-home-from-work routes.

Goodness.  This is different.  I spotted a pile of dirt and a "snow fence" before I got here, and I wondered what was up.  This house is getting a whole new foundation/basement!



With a new porch in front, perhaps?



It's a shame that the stained glass is covered (by plexiglass?), and a bigger shame that the church felt they needed to cover it.  I suppose they could have wanted to protect it from weather, but thinking about the cathedral windows in Europe which have withstood centuries of weather, I wonder.............

Usually you can't see the glass behind the plexi, but conditions were just right when I walked by, and the fancy glass was sort of visible.




It was one of those odd days when it's breezy at ground level, but apparently very still aloft, as the jet trails were visible for a long time after the plane was somewhere else.  Looking south near the intersection of William and Main.



More sky, now over West Park.  Looking west.




Some thoughtless person put goldfish in the pond at West Park.  I don't know if goldfish can get into the waterways from here.  I hope not!  I'm sure we don't need any more foreign species in our waterways!

There are A LOT of goldfish in here.  Hundreds.  I hope the heron likes 'em (and they aren't bad for her/him).  Most of them seem to be 4-5" long.



Four ducks were napping on the boardwalk/bridge that goes over one side of the pond when I went downtown, and there were four when I came back, though they'd moved (with the shade?).

I tried to be as UN-scary as I could be.  The boardwalk may be 8' wide.  The ducks were up against one side, and I hugged the other.  They each opened an eye to look at me, but otherwise they did not stir.



Later.  Walking with my better half.  Maple leaf print on the sidewalk.


.

No comments: