Monday, December 02, 2013

November 26

.

Walking from my old street (where we park) up to the farmers' market.

Myrtle and someone else's berries, over a rock.



We got apples and cider and sweet potatoes at the market.  I looked at seasonal decorations, but did not purchase.




Kerrytown's bell tower.  There are a lot of playable groups of bells in Ann Arbor.



We went over to Zingerman's.  Perhaps not our brightest move -- they were mobbed, the day before Thanksgiving.  We usually sit in the "garage" -- not really a garage, but which has multiple garage doors that can be opened to the patio in clement weather.  On the 26th the garage was full of Thanksgiving take-out orders, so there were fewer than usual seats for more customers than usual.  After looking upstairs over the garage, upstairs over Next Door, and downstairs Next Door, and finding no seating at all (this was after we'd purchased our beverages), we went back upstairs over the garage, and were able to nab a table as it was being cleared and cleaned.

I'd been thinking it would be interesting to have a hot-chocolate tasting, when all three of us were there to make selections.  We did that on the 26th.  Upper left is Chocolat Moderne's Snake Charmer (which has a hint of anise).  Upper right is Mindo's.  At the bottom is Spanish Drinking Chocolate.


I've had the Spanish Drinking Chocolate before.  It's name is misleading -- it's more like hot pudding than like something you can drink....  It is delicious.  Dark.  Creamy.  Satisfying.  Mmmmmmmmmmm.

I'm not a big hot chocolate fan.  An unfortunate incident when I was 5 turned me right off chocolate ice cream (and my distaste spread to hot chocolate).

I discovered in France, in 2010, that enough time had passed that I could enjoy (really really good French) hot chocolate, and discovered in Italy, last April, that I could enjoy Italian dark chocolate gelato.........

I thought the hint of anise in the Snake Charmer was mildly interesting, but both it and the Mindo's seemed too much like "regular American hot chocolate" for me to find them compelling.

I think my companions liked them fine.


It was late enough that we ate lunchy things rather than breakfast.  I'd been eying the Indian strudel in the pastry case for months, but didn't want Indian for breakfast.  It makes a lovely lunch!  I hadn't been putting Zingerman's and Indian in the same thought, but this was really good and I would definitely order it again, when I want lunch.

My daughter had matzo-ball soup.  Not especially photogenic, especially in a plastic take-out container, but delicious.  My better half says he is in the mood for breakfast at any time, and he had his favorite cinnamon roll.  Zingerman's Bakehouse really does an excellent job.  I don't think I've ever had something that was disappointing.  I'm picky about what I order more than once, and I have a bigger set of favorites from the Bakehouse than from anyplace else in town.

It was noisy as well as crowded, on the 26th.  We finished and left, rather than lingering, as we might have on a more peaceful day.  Others were glad to get our table (pouncing the moment we stood up).  I like it better when it's not so busy (and noisy), but at least it was a festive and happy crowd, and no screaming children.



Late afternoon in suburbia -- sun between the branches.


.

No comments: