Monday, May 26, 2014

when you're studying a brand-new field.....

.

One of the things about studying a brand-new field is that there are few, if any, standards.  Take naming, for example.  Imprint control regions (ICRs), differentially methylated regions (DMRs), differentially methylated domains (DMDs), imprint control elements (ICEs), and designated imprinting centers (DICs) are ... all talking about the same thing.

This stuff is confusing enough without five different names for the same thing -- they need a naming-conventions committee!


On the other hand...................


Studying a brand-new field means that hardly anyone knows anything about it.  I know just a very little about epigenetics, and I know just a very little about what's going on in a human nervous system.

But I'm betting that there are tens of thousands, if not millions, of people on this planet who know way, Way, WAY more about neurobiology than I know.

I'm also betting that the number of people who know way, Way, WAY more about epigenetics than I know is way, way, way smaller than the number who know more than I do about neurobiology!

I think it's cool to have the opportunity to be one of the not-so-many who know even a bit about epigenetics.

.

No comments: