Friday, August 15, 2014

August 2

.

Mirror mosaic under a railroad overpass.  All the green bits are reflections of vegetation on the other side of the street.  It's cool to watch this as you walk by it, looking at the changes as your position varies.



Clouds over the intersection of Miller and Main.




August is the best time for the farmers' market, in my humble.  Celery, kohlrabi, greens, broccoli, eggplant, and pelargoniums.



We've never participated in community-supported agriculture.  Yet.  This one lets you sign up to buy food in the winter (presumably frozen food?).



Love these patty-pan squashes.  Even more, since the guy told me their name is Flying Saucer.  When I learned that, I had to buy some.  They were tasty........



Kohlrabi and carrots.



Hibiscus.



Fruit tarts from Zingerman's Bakehouse.  This is my best pic ever, of these.  They happened to be in brighter light.  Aren't they pretty?



The beautiful garden at the end of my old block.

Daylily, with phlox.



This has to be the best lawn-extension garden in town.  White phlox, purple phlox, yellow daylilies, red daylilies, orange turks' cap lilies, stargazer lily.



Looking a bit to the left of the above -- same flowers, plus more daylilies, a dark red canna in the middle, and petunias and something with red leaves at the bottom.



Big red daylily.



With a medium-size fly, with red eyes and legs, and white toes.  I don't know how many kinds of flies there are, even just right here in southeast Michigan, but it's a lot.  I'm not aware of seeing one like this before.



Daylily, with phlox and stargazers.




Turks' cap lilies, with phlox.  I wonder what those black things are, on the stems!  If I'd seen them without the flowers, I'd have thought they were seeds.  But I don't think they can be seeds -- the flowers are at their prime, and those black things aren't part of the flowers...........



Hmmm.  I do wonder what these are!



Daylily.



Phlox, lilies, black-eyed susans.



Later.  Walking in my immediate neighborhood.  Pear.  This is a strange tree.  I would say it is a Bradford pear.  Most of the tree acts like a Bradford pear (with the associated half-inch diameter fruits).  But the south part of the tree makes the occasional pear that looks like this.  This is between two and three inches long.....

I wondered if the tree might be grafted, but I couldn't tell that it was........  A mystery.



On around my mile loop.

Daylily.



Here's something you don't see every day.

The University of Michigan has one of the biggest stadiums in the world.  It holds 109,000 people (or something like that).

On August 2, there was a soccer game in Michigan stadium.  It was Madrid Real vs. Manchester United, I think.  Powerhouse European teams, imported to play right here in Ann Arbor.  The game was sold out before tickets were even available to people like retired University of Michigan faculty (my better half's bridge partner tried to get tickets the minute the phone lines opened, and was denied).

The blimp was facilitating the TV coverage of the game, I bet.  You can tell we are only a few miles from the stadium, when you see this as you walk through our neighborhood.....



Here's something else you don't see every day!  These are the only orange coneflowers I've ever seen.  I've seen white, and pink, and darker pink, but not any with a hint of yellow.....



Japanese anemone.



A closer crop.



Interesting stacked rocks.



An interesting bee balm -- more fuchsia, less red, than the usual ones.


.

No comments: