Wednesday, August 27, 2014

proof of insurance, when renting a car....

.

I have been away, helping my parents celebrate their 65th.

I rented a car.  For the first time ever, a car-rental agent told me that if I didn't buy their insurance, I needed to have proof of my regular car insurance with me, in the rental car, in case anything went wrong and I was asked for such proof.

It makes sense that it's a good idea to have that proof with you, but this was the first time anyone had ever told me I was supposed to have it.  (When I've called my insurance agent to see if I was covered for a rental car by my regular car insurance, no one has ever told me I'd better have proof with me, and no car-rental agent has ever told me this before....)

I called home and asked to have a photo of such proof emailed to me, which I then printed and put in the rented car.

I have rented lots of cars.  I've never had proof of insurance with me.  I've never needed it, but I can see how having it, just in case, would be smart.

I'm sharing this with you, so that if/when you rent cars, you'll carry your proof of insurance with you, so you'll have it if [heaven forfend] you need it.

.

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

Thanks for the info. I never had that happen either -- wonder if it's a new rule or just certain companies. We'll be renting when we go west in December, so I'll be sure to have mine with me!

I need orange said...

I wonder, too. It could be just in certain states.....

Though -- I'm pretty sure you are supposed to have proof of car insurance with you in your car. It wouldn't surprise me that you need to have proof that you have car insurance with you in a rental car....

But if so, how come no one ever tells you?