Tuesday, September 23, 2014

September 18

.

Walking downtown to have lunch with my buddies from work.  Stack o' rocks.



Morning glories.



On the 18th, the U was having a "bring us your expired medications" day.  I knew we had a bunch of dead meds -- leftover anti-nausea meds from Buzz's chemo, expired OTC meds, even one or two things that had been prescribed for people, and not taken for one reason or another.  I went through all the cupboards, and found a lot more than I expected.

I carried all of that downtown (including all the containers I bet it was enough stuff to fill a gallon jug), and was glad to hand it all off to the nice people in the tent near the Alumni Center.  I know there are too many drugs finding their way into our water, so it felt good to hand off a big bunch of dead drugs to people who will see that they get disposed of properly.



I stopped into the Modern Languages building to use the facilities, and stepped back outside to see this view of the Burton Tower.



I walked back down to see my friends.  It was a very nice day...........



We had a good chat over lunch, and then continued chatting as we went for a stroll.  The Art Center now has a huge area for display of Motawi Tiles.  Motawi makes gorgeous tiles in art deco, art nouveau, and other styles, including these Frank-Lloyd-Wright-inspired ones.  The tiles begin in molds, which make raised lines to hold the different colors....  (as always, click on any image to embiggen)

These are spectacularly wonderful.  I have decided on more than one occasion to buy a tile, but then have been stymied by the array of choices......  Just one?  WHICH one?????  (The oak frames are wonderful, too......)



We walked back over to the Perry Building, where I used to work.  A donor decided it would be a good idea to have a dorm for graduate students.  He gave the money, and it's being build across the street from the Perry Building.



After finishing a good session of catching up with my friends, I took this shot of the east side of the Perry Building (which was an elementary school in its first incarnation), and headed home.  So glad I can walk to do all of these things........


.

4 comments:

thecrazysheeplady said...

Love the stacked rocks! And good for them for offering a med collection day. You are right about the water safety. Grrrr.

I need orange said...

I love stacked rocks, too. :-)

Scary to think they used to tell us to flush dead drugs..................

Jeanie said...

Catching up -- nice angles on the building shots. And oh, the morning glory and those fun rocks! Good sights!

I need orange said...

Thanks!

Glad to have you walking along!