Saturday, February 28, 2015

February 21

.

S'more tarts, from Zingerman's Bakehouse, with one lemon tart at left.  So pretty......  I'm imagining being the person who wields the torch, browning the meringue *just so*........


I did not take a pic of my roasted red pepper and farm cheese sandwich.  It was yummy.  And big enough that I ate the second half for lunch.  Mmmmmm.

Our surprise for the morning was walking into the part of the deli I call "the garage," as it has garage doors that can be open to the patio on nice days.  (I wish they'd leave 'em closed, to keep out the flies, but no one asked me....)

Anyway, the surprise wasn't walking in there -- we eat Saturday breakfast in there fairly often.  The surprise was that Mario Batali was there!  If you watch the food channel, you know that Mario was one of the original American Iron Chefs.   We walked into "the garage" at Zingerman's, and I recognized Mario from the back (he has a distinctive red ponytail).  I was pretty sure it was Mario, and then he turned sideways.  Yep.

That's only the second time I've ever seen someone famous.  Vincent Price was in town one time, for a theatrical performance, and I saw him perusing the remaindered books outside Borders.  I stared at him like a total weirdo, and he gave me a gracious smile and a friendly "good morning."  I felt like such an idiot....

This time I was cool.  No intrusion on Mario's personal space.  Nice to know we can actually improve with age....



Actually, I suppose Mario was the third really famous person I've seen -- John Astin taught one of my daughter's college classes, and we happened to meet him when we went to graduation.  A very nice man, and completely recognizable from having watched The Addams Family on tv.

I'm not counting seeing LBJ lean out of his helicopter and wave at the crowd, leaving Michigan Stadium after giving a commencement speech in the 1960s.  He was so far away I'm not sure it was really LBJ -- maybe it was a secret service guy...........



Moving on from the morning excitement.........

Running the Saturday errands.

The cars are all covered in salt.  You can go to a car wash, but 15 seconds after you leave the car wash, your car will be all salty again...........

Interested by the patterns of the salt on the car.

Especially on the front part of the bumper.



Isn't this weird?  I wonder what causes this!?!  Clearly not a random accumulation of spatter.....  Very strange.



Inside Busch's.  Ahhh.  Basking in color....................



Chartreuse goes with everything.



I didn't get one clear shot of this nice spiky thing.  Alas.  At least we can see the color clearly, if the edges of things aren't quite what one would hope for.



Asparagus forest. 



The morning of the 21st was gray and chilly.

But the afternoon was perfectly lovely, for the middle of February.  There was no wind.  It was warm -- 31 (F).



The sun came out shortly after I took the image above.  It was a beautiful afternoon.  I really enjoyed my walk.

.

No comments: