Monday, March 02, 2015

February 23

.

Another cold morning.

Do you remember, in the early part of January, I talked about the steam coming from the University's power plant, and how I could (back when I lived in an apartment overlooking the power plant) tell the temperature and wind direction from looking at that steam?  If you click through, scroll down almost to the bottom to see the steam coming out of the "smoke" stacks........

I think what looks like clouds in these pics is really the steam from the power plant.....  I'm not sure, but that's what I think.

A cold day.  Wind from the north.



The frost also tells us it was a cold morning, but doesn't say anything about wind.









Much later in the day.  Sun in the west, now.

Squirrel tracks and tree shadows on the back yard.  No yellow snow.  No dog tracks or pathways.

There are many things I miss about having a dog.  But I am glad to have NOT had to drag a reluctant ancient dog out into this winter's cold weather.

.

3 comments:

clayt666 said...

I had a friend in college who had worked in power plants before getting into engineering school. He was adamant about correcting people when they said "steam" when they were clearly (to him, anyway) talking about water vapor. He also got animated when people talked about the "steam" escaping from the "nuclear power plant" whenever the media showed a picture of the water vapor condensing above the cooling towers at Three Mile Island.

I always think of Fred when I see "steam" coming out of a "smoke stack."

(I was one of the people he used to chastise the most. "You're a damned engineer. You should know better!" SFSF)

I need orange said...

Oh fine. Here I thought I was doing well to not be calling it "smoke"....

Sheesh. ;-)

Fred was in Sweden when we were there, ja?

I've got more posts coming up with "steam" in them. Wonder how many people will know what I'm talking about if I say "water vapor"........

lol..........

clayt666 said...

Yes, Fred was the guy in Sweden when the family was there.