Thursday, June 18, 2015

June 13

.

Walking to the farmers' market.

Service berries.  These will be edible (but not delicious) once the berries turn dark purple.




It was a rainy weekend.



Virginia creeper.




Rain on the daylilies.



This is the north entrance to West Park.  From Miller, into the park, which is noticeably lower.  There is a long staircase that goes down into the park.  We have looked up, from park level, to see this pergola thing.  (Is it a pergola?  I don't know....)



Chicory.




There were strawberries at the farmers' market!  Yay!

Zingerman's Bakehouse is getting more like Paris in the texture of its croissants, I do believe.  Mmmmmmm.

On June 12 I enjoyed a lovely visit from one of my college friends and her husband.  We had last been in the same place, at the same time, nine years before.  It was so nice to have a chance to chat and make a stab at catching up.

She was in town to meet with some of her other college friends, a couple of whom I also know, but not as well.

Back to Saturday the 13th.....

When you plan to eat food you've chosen from Zingerman's Deli's extensive and delicious menu, you order, pay, and go sit down at a table.  Someone will bring your food on a tray.  The people who bring the food wander around the various dining rooms, calling "Breakfast for Joe H!" or whatever, until they match the food with the right customer.

As we were enjoying our usual Saturday breakfast, we heard someone working to deliver breakfast to someone with my friend's name............  I got up, and hunted, and found my friend and her entire party in another of the Deli's dining rooms.  So I was able to say "hello!" to the whole group, nearly all of whom I'd at least met before.

How nice.

Isn't it wonderful, when you meet friends you haven't seen for a long time, and you fit back together as though you saw each other all the time?

So nice.



Back home.  I believe I said, a while ago, that my esteemed spouse decided we'd have another go at growing tomatoes.  We bought little plants, which came in pairs.  We chose four different kinds, and only had four buckets.  One plant of each kind went into a bucket with brand new potting soil, and the other went into the nasty dirt that was left by the people who built our masonry bed in front of the house.

The difference between the twin plants is sort of shocking.  Happy tomato plant.



Sad tomato plant.  So annoying -- I told them to take away the bad dirt and bring good dirt.  What happened was that they left the bad dirt and laid a quarter inch of good dirt over it.  Sigh.



Grocery store flowers.



.

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

That's great about connecting with your friend! Interesting about the tomatoes. Rick and I bought basil from the same place, same sized plants. He put his in his regular garden. I put mine in pots. Mine is so big I'm cutting for drying and pesto. His? Not so much. Go figure.

I need orange said...

Yes. So nice to have had the opportunity to reconnect with my friend. Happy sigh!


I was sure better dirt would make a difference, but the extent of the difference is really quite shocking. A huge, huge difference. The happy plants continue to burgeon, while the sad ones are still about the size they were when they went in!

Live and learn!