Thursday, June 04, 2015

May 30 -- peony garden, part 1

.

It's time to visit the University's peony garden.  It's in the arboretum.  They say it is the largest collection of heirloom peonies in the western hemisphere.  I believe they have nearly 300 varieties.

It was before 9:00am on a bright and sunny May 30 when we visited the peonies.  I think this is the earliest, relative to peony-blooming time, that we have been there.  Very few plants were finished blooming, and many had clearly not yet begun.



A bouquet of peonies, on the dog-watering (and hand-washing) station.



Don't these look like fried eggs?  Only prettier?





I have to say I prefer the fluffy ones to the singles.




Is that a sepal, at the bottom left?  Love the curl.......



In addition to the singles and various sorts of fluffier stuff, the peonies are in various shades of white, pink, and red.  From baby pink to coral to maroon.......



I don't have very many pics of ants.  There's one on the bud at the bottom of this pic.  My daughter says she read somewhere that peonies can't bloom properly, without ants..........  At least -- that's the way I remember what she said...........





Sometimes, I'm pretty sure, there were multiple kinds of peonies where only one kind was expected.




Loved these coral ones with the sun behind them........  Love the closed buds on the plants of some other variety in the background..........






Here's what they look like from the sunny side.  Tall and much less bushy than some of the other varieties.



I think this is the only time I've ever seen a butterfly on a peony.  Assuming that really is a butterfly.....  I don't recognize it........






.

No comments: