Thursday, August 27, 2015

August 13 -- the rest of the day

.

Back near the Planetarium, on the way back to the hotel.  From here we can see the original Planetarium, as well as the new part that has the cafe and the Solar System exhibit.



Remember I said the skies were excellent all day on the 13th?   Looking north.  That's Navy Pier at right.



Still north, slightly west of the above (same street light).



We can see so many things from here that we've seen over and over.  The bridge hotel.  The tower formerly known as "Sears."  Our hotel.  The thing in Millennium Park that is too fancy to be called a "band shell,"  sparkling in the sun....

I always wondered what that building with the diagonal diamond on top is.  I kid you not -- one of its names has been Smurfit.

Ok.



Looking back at the Planetarium.  Do you remember, on our way over here earlier, I said there were giant steps, apparently for crowds to sit on, along this part of the shore?  You can see them better in this image than in the one I showed you before.



Here's a closer crop.  The walkway is marked "no swimming" and "no diving" and "submerged rocks" all along in front of those giant steps, but there are also yellow ladders for getting in and out all along there.  In this image you can get an idea how big the giant steps are, by looking at the smaller steps which facilitate access.  You can also see four of the yellow ladders in/out of the water.

At the end of this section of walkway closest to the Aquarium, I saw a very wet kid drying off near a bicycle parked near one of the ladders.  I concluded he had been swimming.......  Swimming alone -- not the best idea, anywhere.  Let alone in a place with "no swimming" signs all over it.  I wonder if his mother knew where he was.............



We are beside the Aquarium now.



Looking at Navy Pier.  And the sky.


The (very big!  almost the width of this whole image!) Field Museum.  And the sky.



That cluster of blue buildings.  And the sky!



A quick snap grabbed as I crossed Lake Shore Drive.  Field Museum, blue buildings, and the sky!  (Wish I had tilted the camera up, for more sky and less street!  On the other hand, this image certainly gives a correct impression that there is a LOT of street....)



Approaching Buckingham Fountain.  Interesting lighting for the water.  And don't miss the sky!



The wind was mostly from the south.  The mist from that high-spouting part of the fountain obscured the buildings.......



Bright water, nice and clear against the darkness.....



Sky over the bridge hotel.



Looking south..........  Bright umbrellas in the park; blue buildings; the sky!



What a gorgeous day!



My better half reached the hotel before I did.  He called me, but the fountain made so much noise I didn't hear the call.  I called him as I walked toward the hotel.  He could see me from our window, but there was so much glare on the glass that I could not see him.



After supper.  Looking east out our window.  6:30 pm.



Looking south.  !!!



7:20 pm.  !!!



Looking north.



East.


What a gorgeous, interesting day!

.

4 comments:

Joyce said...

Hey! Tim used to work in the building with the diamond shape on top!

He worked for Stone Container Corp---containers made of corrugated paper; Stone was the name of the family that started the business. It was bought out by Jefferson Smurfit Company in 1998 or 1999 and renamed Smurfit-Stone. Jefferson Smurfit was an Irish company and the owner's name, unfortunately for him, was Michael Smurfit.

Tim left for another job in 2000 and we moved to Madison. The rest of the story, you already know...

I need orange said...

Interesting. :-) And fun to have that personal connection! I will think of you guys, the next time I'm in Chicago, and I look at the Smurfit-Stone building. Even more than I already think of you, knowing your history with Chicago........

We had such a good time there -- something extra-special every single day.........

Was the Stone building a cool place to work, or is it ordinary inside? Some buildings that are extraordinary on the outside (like the public library) are not nearly as interesting inside.

That surely is an excellent location, for lunchtime walks......

I suppose Smurfit didn't become an especially unfortunate name until the Smurfs were invented............ lol................

Jeanie said...

You DO have a good location! Looks like a great holiday -- you covered a lot of tracks!

I need orange said...

The location couldn't be beat. And with that view (if lucky enough to be on the front of the hotel.........)!!!

We had a wonderful time. I'm ready to go back! :-)