Monday, October 12, 2015

October 8

.

I had a strange experience on October 7.  I took a couple of comforters to the laundromat (they are too big to wash comfortably at home).  That wasn't so odd, but the odd part was that the laundromat was closed.  Its hours are supposed to be 7:00 am to 9:00 pm, and I got there around 9:00 am.  Lights off, no one there.  I called several times during the day, and the next morning, and got no answer.  Puzzling.

On the 8th I went to a different laundromat.  It seemed that most of the people there were, like me, washing things that were too big to wash at home.  Duvets.  Pillows.  Comforters. 

I washed my comforters, and took them home, and hung them on the lines outside.  Our weather is getting iffy for that sort of project, but the 8th was warm and dry, and the comforters were dry when I brought them in around 6:00 pm. Hooray.

I'm glad to have that done.



While the comforters were drying, we worked on getting the storm windows back on the house.  That task's tedium is increased dramatically by my intention to wash the windows in question, so that when I want to take pictures through them, in the dead of winter, they aren't blurry from being dirty.

Cleaning is NOT a task I take any satisfaction from.  But I feel compelled...........  Sigh.



Getting ready to walk after all the storms but two were done.  As you walk down our stairs to the main floor, on one particular step the burning bush outside is framed by the window in the front door.  Nice, eh?



I've been hearing from all sorts of organizations that our honeybees are in deep trouble.  They are stressed by the toxins humans spray everywhere (shame on us!), and by parasites, and by viruses.

I have seen very few honeybees this year.  On the 8th I was glad to see two working the little asters on our patio.  Here's one, barely visible at lower left.  Good luck, little one.  I wish we didn't make your life so difficult!



Walking.  Maple.  I wonder why this branch is so far ahead of the rest of the tree............



We looked at this plant's flowers several weeks ago.  I still don't know what it is...........



Just in case the pollinators have any doubts, the flower is advertising.  "Step this way, ladies!  Get your pollen and nectar here!"



Another plant in the same pot.



.

No comments: