Saturday, December 12, 2015

November 30 -- part 3

.

We decided it was time to sit down and have something to eat.  They have a decent salad bar....



We were getting tired, but we went into the space section.  This large weather globe caught my eye.  I'm not sure how much data they have access too, but they were showing weather from a few weeks before we were there.



It was pretty dark in the space exhibit.  I saw light on the far side of it, and walked in that direction.  I found myself in this large and bright space.  With a nice view of the Denver skyline a few miles away, and the mountains behind........





I have a learning curve ahead of me, for taking pics of mountains.......  Everything is too faint, too fuzzy, and too blue...............



Close crop from near the center of the above.  Big (and/or close?) bird, and the state-capital dome.







Closer.........



We strolled back into the space exhibit.  They had infrared video of museum-goers in real time.  I'm not sure why I think this is funny, but it still amuses me.........  Are we a pair of good-looking guys, or what?




Back in the main part of the museum -- there is a whale skeleton suspended between/over the escalators.



Here it is from directly below.  Love the shadows of the ribs........



Looking for postcards in the gift shop.  These are magnetic stones.  They cling to each other strongly enough that you can hold up a string of 8 or 10 of them just by holding onto one and letting the others grab on.



Waiting for the bus, out in front of the museum.



Back in the room, after sunset.  Ann Arbor is pretty near the western edge of Eastern Time.  That means we get more daylight in the late afternoon and evening than people who live in more easterly parts of their time zone.

It was a lot darker in Denver at 4:30 than it is in Ann Arbor.



One thing I did not get pics of at the museum was the section where you could see people working on clearing stone from around dino bones.  The window was open; we could ask questions....  It turns out that at the Denver science museum, much of the fossil-bone-cleaning work is done by volunteers.  I would totally volunteer for that, if I lived there!  The man told us that they only offer the class once a year, and only take a limited number of students.  Once you pass the class, you start an internship sort of process, where you work on unimportant things to hone your technique.  But still.  I would totally do that, if I lived there.

How can people be bored, when there are dino bones to clean?

.

No comments: