Wednesday, January 27, 2016

finished Orion class

.

I just finished Orion class.  It wasn't mostly about Orion.  It was mostly about astronomy in general.  But I enjoyed it, and learned many things.

Here's the Orion nebula, from Wikimedia Commons.

This file is in the public domain because it was created by NASA and ESA. NASA Hubble material (and ESA Hubble material prior to 2009) is copyright-free and may be freely used as in the public domain without fee, on the condition that only NASA, STScI, and/or ESA is credited as the source of the material.


That's 21 certificates earned, out of 32 MOOCs in which I listened to all of the lectures.  (Leaving 11 classes which I listened to, but for which I did not do exercises or take quizzes/tests.)

Given that I started my first MOOC in September of 2012, that's not too shabby.  :-)

How does anyone ever get bored, when there are so many interesting things to learn about???


Today, as we finished lunch, my husband asked me what I was thinking about.  I told him "Comet tails!  A comet has two of them -- one is dust (yellowish and curved), and the other is plasma (blue-white and straight) -- and both point away from the sun (because the sun is pushing them away)."

It occurred to me that I was probably the only person on the face of this Earth whose spouse had just asked that question, and gotten that answer!  :-)

I told him so, and he told me that he thought that I was very often the only person on the face of the planet to have said whatever I just said.  :-)

.

No comments: