Tuesday, July 19, 2016

July 10 -- domestication

.

At the Blank Park Zoo in Des Moines, they have some very small cattle, and some quite big cattle.  This sweet little thing is in the "buy some food and feed the critters" part of the zoo.  I don't suppose (most of) her back was higher than my waist.  But with those horns, I suspect she is most of full-grown, if not entirely full-grown.

The sign said "miniature zebu cattle."



A working mama, on a "take your child to work" day.



Here are the big cattle.  These are watusi cattle, which are from Africa.  I don't know how old these guys are, but those horns are five or six feet across, at least.  Something makes me think they don't live amongst trees, in Africa, but maybe I'm wrong.....................



These guys were doing a bit of pushing and shoving, but it did not seem to be in earnest.  They cannot be youngsters, given those horns.  Perhaps someone has relieved them of excesses of testosterone.


.

No comments: