Friday, August 12, 2016

July 21 -- National Portrait Gallery and American Art Museum, part 2

.

Remember what I said in the previous post about the National Portrait Gallery working to improve diversity in their collection?

Here is info about the Outwin Boochever Portrait Competition:

"The National Portrait Gallery invites artists all over America to investigate the art of contemporary portraiture for the fourth Outwin Boochever Portrait Competition, to be held in 2016. The competition and resulting exhibition will celebrate excellence and innovation, with a strong focus on the variety of portrait media used by artists today.

The National Portrait Gallery welcomes single figures, groups, or self-portraits, created in any visual arts medium. The competition is named for Virginia Outwin Boochever (1920–2005), a former Portrait Gallery volunteer whose generous gift has endowed this program."

Many of the entries for the 2016 competition were on display.  They were diverse, in subject and in medium.

Here is my fave.  Love the colors, love this gorgeous young woman, love her "and your opinion interests me ... why?" attitude..................  And, yeah, I love her hair.......




After looking at the Outwin entries, I decided to go back to the gallery where I found Aretha, and collect a few more images.

Neil.




Henry.




Bob.


A good visit to a new-to-me museum.  I'll go back, on another trip to Washington.



Reflection of a museum, in an office building's windows.



Here's something I always enjoy in Washington.  The Metro subway system is easy to use, and goes about anywhere I want to go.  I used it every day I didn't go to the zoo, while we were in DC.  It rocks.


.

No comments: