Thursday, August 18, 2016

July 23 -- Textile Museum, and the rest of the day

.

After the Building Museum, I went to the Textile Museum.  I had visited it several times in its previous space.  It has now joined forces with the George Washington University museum, and has a much bigger space.

Current work -- very political, alas.  (Call me shallow, I don't mind.)  I'd rather look at traditional work that is not all about how people are (far too often) horrid to each other (and to the whole rest of the planet).  I already know that, and regret it, and prefer not to wallow in it......




The explanatory info says this is made by the Geijia people of Wangba Village in Guizhou Province of China, in the 20th century.  Wax resist.  "20th century" may mean it is a synthetic dye, rather than indigo.

The image above is much truer to the color -- this was blue and cream, mostly, with some red and yellow. 

When I turned up the contrast so we can enjoy the intricacies of the design, the blue was lost and the lighter parts are unnaturally white.  I am surprised to note that the explanatory info about this work does not include the dyes.  I was pretty sure this was indigo, until I read that it was 20th century work.  It may be a synthetic dye.  And it may be indigo.



A tiny bit of red in the blue & white part.




Skirt.  Otomi people, Mexico, 20th century.




It was beautifully cool in the Textile Museum, on a steamy hot Washington DC day.  They had cool water (and cookies!) for visitors.

The new space is big and nice.  The gift shop has interesting things, including work made by some of the artists participating in the big exhibit.

I look forward to visiting again. 



George Washington U has a nice (urban) campus.  Nice plants, nice buildings.




I never was clear about the policy on jaywalking in DC.  We do it all the time here in Ann Arbor.  I didn't think I saw locals jaywalking in DC.  So I mostly didn't.  But it was so hot.  If there was shade on the other side of the street, I wasn't waiting until I got to the next corner to cross (assuming no traffic!).



Back at the Woodley Park -- Zoo Metro stop.  Hundreds of feet underground there are plants taking advantage of moisture and light wherever they find 'em.


It's hard to keep Mother Nature down, as hard as we try.



Hibiscus, not growing underground, but rather at the top of a hill, in front of the hotel.  Nice, eh?  All those pinks and fuchsias, with some bits of red and splash of yellow?




Enjoying the sky from the hotel room!




A vignette of my day.  My Building Museum entry fee bracelet, and the 20th-century blue & white resist-dyed shirt I wore on the 23rd.

(Note to self -- on days when you plan to take pics of things that are behind glass, a plain black shirt would be a good idea.  No need to be a major source of distracting reflections in your own pics.  !!!!)



Still enjoying the sky a while later...........


.

No comments: