Tuesday, December 27, 2016

December 24

.

The voice of conscience is so delicate that it is easy to stifle it; but it is also so clear that it is impossible to mistake it. -- Madame De Stael



I am going to be deliberate about crediting small businesses for the things they are doing well.



We had breakfast at Zingerman's Deli, as usual of a Saturday, after buying apples from Wasems and Kapnicks, and cider (Kapnicks) at the farmers' market. 

This is Zingerman's Bakehouse's excellent cranberry-walnut pie.  Mmmmmmmmmmm.



My family went home, and I stayed downtown to lay some dollars on local merchants.  Not as many as I'd planned -- while some stores were pretty empty, some were crowded with people and were sold out of a lot of merchandise (notably some things I'd thought I would acquire).

The (original) Grinch, in Italian, spotted in a used-book store on 4th Ave.



Jeans for sale in Vicki Honeyman's Heavy Metal, also on 4th Ave.  Anyone who thinks of "mending" as "boring" is clearly  not using enough imagination.  These excellently embellished jeans are from Grace in LA.

There are lots of interesting and arty things in Heavenly Metal.  I bought socks with pandas holding balloons.  :-)  And there is a tiny curly dog who is friendly and may give kisses, if you are lucky.  Go visit.  :-)



Looking into an alley from 4th Ave.  I've never noticed the horses before.




I also went to Literati (The Elements of Style illustrated by Maira Kalman), Kilwin's (their excellent malted milk balls), and Downtown Home and Garden (where my hopes for xxl gloves were dashed -- my bad; I should have gotten the gloves a few weeks earlier when I saw them there). 



Walking home.  Weeds.




Looking West through West Park, over the pond.



The pond was not entirely frozen over.  Here's an open-water spot.



Closer crop of the above -- little (3" long?) goldfish.  There were black ones, too, and beige-ish ones, but only the "gold" ones show up here.  I bet there were dozens visible above -- to the naked eye (if not to the iphone camera......).


.

No comments: