Sunday, June 04, 2017

sign of global warming?

.

"Life was meant to be lived, and curiosity must be kept alive." -Eleanor Roosevelt



This is about four feet tall.  Springing from the earth on a stem that must have been over 1.5" in diameter.

There were at least four of them here, in the middle of someone's front yard, a couple of blocks from my house.




Looks like something you'd see in the "tropical room" at the botanical garden, doesn't it?



When I got this close, I noticed it was stinky.



There were flies.



I didn't realize I'd captured a fly until I saw it on "the big screen."


I googled fly pollinate large flower, but didn't see it

Someone on Instagram suggested it was a corpse flower, and someone else offered the Latin name -- Amorphophalus Titanum.

Everyone who commented on my Instagram account was surprised that it grew from the ground in Michigan. 

I think it's creepy, and wouldn't give it space.  But it's interesting.  Not something you see every day, walking in suburban southeast Michigan!

.

No comments: