Friday, October 13, 2017

May 27 -- part 2, going to Kolob Reservoir

.

Here is a link to the interactive expedition map.



You may recall me saying that in order to get from one part of Zion National Park to another, one sometimes has to go outside the park, and then back in.

It has been so long, now, since I was in Utah, that I can't remember when we were in the park, and when we weren't.  Alas.  Having to deal with one trip's 4600 pictures is a first-world problem, for sure.....

We saw lots of this sort of formation.  It reminds me of being at the beach as a kid, dribbling a mixture of water and sand into a pile of layers.



Closer crop of the upper left of the above.




Kolob Reservoir is up high.....



This formation looks like a large hunk of it slid off, in the not so distant past.....



A closer crop of the part that looks newly-exposed to me.  Lines going every which way.



I bet these are quaking aspens, like the ones we saw in Bryce.  That *white* bark, and those *green* leaves.....



The land up near the reservoir was oddly Michiganian.  Flat-ish, green, and with small trees.



Here's the reservoir.  With people on it in power boats, just like on "Lake" Mead reservoir.  I will never understand putting power boats in someone else's water supply.............

At least they call a reservoir a reservoir, here, rather than pretending it's a lake.



Pine trees, rolling hills, and small bodies of water.  Very Michiganian.



Not to mention big meadows full of dandelions.



I don't know of these trees were dead, or just not quite ready to leaf out.  Everywhere we went, in the southwest, we saw sections of dead trees.  In some places there had clearly been significant fire, and/or significant bug damage.  Here ... I don't know.





Looking closer at the missing part of this hill (or whatever I should be calling it).



A closer look at the top of the formation seen above.



More of the every-which-way lines on the flanks of the above.  Wish this were nice and clear!




I'm not sure at which point we left Zion National Park for the last time on this trip.



I think this is not inside the park, but am not sure.






Here's a link to the next post about the Grand Canyon trip.

.

No comments: