Sunday, February 18, 2018

August 18, 2017 Olbrich Botanical Gardens

.

On August 18, 2017, we joined my parents, my siblings, their spouses, and some of their children at the Olbrich Botanical Gardens in Madison, WI.

These are spectacular gardens, with something beautiful and interesting everywhere your eyes turn.

Hydrangea.



I think this is a trandescantia.



Layers and layers.  Day lilies in the foreground.  I don't know what the purple things are, nor the chartreuse in the upper left corner, nor the darker green in back.



Hibiscus.



They have a very special Thai pavilion.  (It was hard to get a pic of the pavilion that did not include lots of strangers.)



A river runs through the gardens.  Looking upstream.



Looking downstream toward one of Madison's lovely lakes.



Another look at the pavilion.



A closer look at the plants visible at bottom, above.



Closer look at the end of the pavilion.



Plants beside the pavilion.






Something exotic in front of the pavilion.



Reflecting pool by the pavilion.






I think these may have been the biggest day lily blooms I'd ever seen.  More than 8" across, maybe?




Fancy pink begonias.  (Angelwing, maybe?)  Note matching daddy longlegs at upper right.



We enjoyed lunch at a restaurant.  (I'm slowly slowly catching up, blogging all the pics that were taken after we got home from the southwest.  But I'm still 6 months behind, and I can't remember a lot of details, alas.)

Awning across the street from the restaurant.



My sister and brother-in-law are in the process of retiring in Madison.  They really did their homework, and found a great place to land.  They bought a condo right on Lake Monona, within a mile walk of the library, the farmers' market, tons of restaurants, cafes, and bakeries.  Madison offers a lot to do, and even has real, removed-from-automobile-traffic bike paths (which take you near the Olbrich Gardens).

This is part of the view from their balcony.  !!!


.

No comments: