Thursday, March 22, 2018

October 27, 2017

.

Heading south from Cincinnati on October 27, 2017, so I could hug sheep on October 28th.



Closer crop of the above.  This does not look good.  20 minutes to go 9 miles?  No.



Goodbye, Cincinnati.



Looks like they weren't kidding about 9 miles in 20 minutes.  Can you see the line of trucks, as far as the eye can see?  (Bending to the left, under the bridge.....)



There are lots of bridges from Cincinnati which go south across the mighty Ohio.  We got off the interstate, took another bridge, and rejoined the interstate in Kentucky.  In less than 20 minutes, and we weren't stuck in stop-and-go traffic!



We headed for Lexington.  Lexington was FULL of traffic.  It seemed like everywhere in northern Kentucky was full of traffic on October 27.  Something unusual was probably happening.

We looked at what there was to do in Lexington, and settled on a walk in the University of Kentucky's arboretum.  There are many pleasant paths, through manicured gardens, and through wilder areas.

Coneflowers.



Beauty berry.  I still can't get used to this.  These perfectly purple berries -- whenever I first spot them, I think they are painted styrofoam.  Then I remember they are real berries.........



Rose.



I have no idea what this is, and it's rather moth-eaten, but the color!!!



Fungus on a downed tree.



A really BIG downed tree!  We saw lots of *big* trees down in the arboretum.  We don't know what happened to them.  This end of this one was clearly cut.



Another look at the fungus.



Closer crop of the above -- someone's seed, resting on the fungus.  (Love my "slow magnifying glass"....)



Rustic throne cut into large tree stump.



Another big tree, pining for the fjords.



These two not-so-little guys were marching across the path.  I have no idea what they meant to be when they grow up.  I'd never seen two, together, on what looked like the same mission across pavement.....



Castor bean, kale, salvia. 



Another look at the castor beans and salvia.  They were really this red.



We stopped at Target in Lexington to stock up on Cheerios and Vanilla Wafers, the better to make friends with sheeps.



Then we headed into horse country.  Lots of BIG establishments, with lots of green grass and pretty ponies.







I'll finish my description of the 27th with my MacGyver moment.

The bathroom in the B&B where we stayed had a motion-sensor-activated bathroom fan.  Even in the dark, that fan went on, regardless of whether you turned the light on.  (Yes, in the middle of the night, the fan was going to go on  !!!  >:-(  )


I went looking for the sensor, and, luckily, it was right down where I could get at it.  They had thoughtfully provided us with (light stopping!) foil candy wrappers.  I sacrificed a bandaid to hold the candy wrapper over the sensor. 

This worked like a charm.  No fan.  Yay.  I love quiet.............................


It occurs to me now that there are many other ways to stop a motion sensor.  Including duct tape, which we often travel without because we fly and it's heavy.

I bet a wad of chewing gum would work, too.  I'll hold that thought for a time when I may not have other options!
 

.

No comments: