Friday, July 20, 2018

identifying flowers

.

I love the internet...........

I can very often (but not always) identify flowers by starting with a google search and then looking at the images.

In this case I was trying to identify the sort of black-eyed-Susan looking ones with the sticking-up middle and the drooping petals (from my previous post).

I asked google for black-eyed susan drooping petals.  I looked through a bunch of pictures.

Eventually I found an image from this book:  Flowers of Mountain and Plain, by Edith Clements.

I love project Gutenberg.  They scan out-of-copyright books that were originally printed in the USA, and make them available to anyone in the USA, for any purpose.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/47339/47339-h/47339-h.htm




Look at number 1.  That looks like what I'm thinking about, don't you think? 



It seems to be a coneflower, not a black-eyed Susan.  (Ratibida, not Rudbeckia) 

Once I have a potential name, I can google that name, and find a whole bunch more images, which will either be like, or not like, the plant I have photographed. In this case, I think the flowers in the park are likely to be Ratibida columnaris (or a near relative).

You never know what you will learn when you go looking................  :-)

All from the comfort of your own study.  No need to remember what your question was, the next time you go to the library.........


.

2 comments:

clayt666 said...

Are you aware that you can put a picture in to Google search, and look directly for matching images? You might give that a try as well as Googling by text. The results are often helpful, and occasionally hilarious.

I need orange said...

I don't know why I never saw this comment until today, but there it is; I didn't.

I have tried having Google search for an image, but have never found what I wanted. So I guess I've pretty much given up on that, unless I am actually looking for the same identical image.

I guess I haven't found my results to be useful or hilarious, which would certainly be a reason to keep trying......... :-)