Thursday, November 15, 2018

November 8, 2018

.

No rest for the weary.  OF COURSE the )#($*^&)*^% liar-in-chief continues with his purposeful evil behavior.



I don't know if marching or rallying makes any difference, but I figured I'd better show up and be counted in the effort to protect Robert Mueller and his investigation.



This required an update to my human billboard project -- Yes on 2 was not going to cut it...........

Speed was of the essence.

8:56 am

I have seen other people's sewn-on words that leave all letters unperforated, and in my experience they parse just fine.  But I need to make those 'O's wide........  Those skinny-ish ones in my first draft were not going to be ok.

Straight line letters are easy to draw.  Curvy ones are harder.  You can seem my process above -- the first S was not working, so I started over.  I can draw as many lines as I think I need, in trying to approach a readable letter......  And I can start over as many times as seems necessary.  And the cutting evens everything out..........



10:02

I've only got so much space to work with (my back is only so big!).  W is a wide letter.  I tried a few times to get one that was clear but not *too* wide............



10:03

"NO ONE" only requires three paper letters (re-use the O and the N to make two fabric letters each).



11:53

Setting up on the floor to begin cutting fabric letters.



12:34

That's the ex-polo-shirt, at right below, from which the fabric letters were cut.  I've got pins in the letters, so I know which way was up, and to differentiate the right side of the fabric from the wrong side.



I picked out some fabric to put the letters on, ironed out the crease through it, and pinned the letters down.

2:01

I hate pins.  They are stabby.  I suppose I could use safety pins, if I had enough.  That's a thought for the future............  (Note to self -- put safety pins for basting on the JoAnns list.......)


I had the cock-eyed optimistic thought that I could “just do this” on the 8th, and wear it to the march to protect Mueller.

 😂 😂 😂

Now that we’re all done laughing.......


I did get it basted.  I thought I'd taken a pic after it was basted, but apparently not.  I wish I had -- I'm curious how long that took.  Long enough that I didn't have time to bother to begin to start the permanent sewing before needing to leave at 4:30 so I could walk downtown and arrive at 5:00 as we were told to do.  I bet it took about an hour and a half to do the basting.

Anyway.  I pinned it to my coat, and walked downtown.




The sky over West Park.

It was getting dark when I got to the post office.  There were a bunch of people there.  The light was interesting, as the sky was dark, but some buildings were sunlit.  I don't know why I didn't take any pics, but I didn't.  Maybe I was burnt out on rushing hard to get my billboard sign in some shape to go. 

I believe there were hundreds of us there.  We looked like more when they started marching us around than when we were bunched up at the post office.

It got dark.  There were a couple of young speakers with a crappy PA.   They were inaudible most of the time, and incomprehensible much of the rest of the time.  “We should all go to the border to meet the immigrants, and welcome them.  But capitalism stops us.  We have to go to work.”  Wait.  What???? There’s some socio-economic system that somehow supports everyone, but no one has to work??!?!!!!?!?  Hmmm...................

After a while, they stopped speaking, and marched us up Liberty to campus, and then all the way through the Diag. I wondered where we were going — it was a fairly elderly crowd. Perhaps 30-40% of us over 60? We turned toward State Street at South U, and went back to the post office via Liberty.  We did a bunch of yelling (mostly orchestrated by the young people).  "This is what democracy looks like."  "Ho ho, hey hey, Robert Mueller has to stay!"

The youngsters spoke some more when we were back at the post office.  They told us we had to march every day.  Riiiiiight. 

What *about* that capitalism, making us work and all?  

I took the bus home, even though they weren’t done.  It was 7:00 pm.  I'd been on my feet since 4:30.  (My phone says I walked 4 miles that day.)



I never know whether anything I do makes any difference, so I use a buckshot approach and do a little of a lot of things. Yesterday seemed like a day to put my body out there to be counted......

And a few people told me they liked the sign on my back. I told them how easy it is to do.....


.

No comments: