Thursday, May 11, 2006

I love drugs

What is up with the way so many things are treated as black or white in our culture? "Just say no!" I wonder if the notion is that most people can't handle nuances? Is that why it is thought better to have blanket condemnation than reasoned appraisal?

Kids in elementary schools these days get large doses of "Drugs are BAD!" and very very little "moderation is good."

When essentially everything has SOME value, SOMEWHERE (thinking of botulism toxin used for uncrossing a little kid's crossed eyes), it is just stupid and short-sighted to be incessantly throwing out the baby with the bathwater. SURELY it would be more valuable to all of us to teach appropriate use (appropriate behavior!) rather than "just say no!"

Ah well.

Yesterday morning I woke up with a headache. I do caffeine. I forgot to drink my evening green tea on Tuesday. And the weather changed overnight -- not sure which factors combined, but my head was pretty uncomfortable when I woke up at 6:00 am.

So I had a glass of milk and an Excedrin. Those of you who have migraines -- if you have yet to try Excedrin, do. It works better for me than anything else ever has, with the sole exception of codeine, which is much harder to get. In an hour, I felt MUCH better.

Pain is Bad. Drugs are Good. I would like to thank every person who went around tasting/chewing/infusing/brewing random vegetative substances to see what they did, especially the ones who tried the willow bark and the tea leaves (I have no idea where tylenol comes from!).


Last night I decided the blue sock probably wasn't quite big enough around, so I ripped it back, almost to the toe. I've recovered almost all the way back (just a few yards left that were ripped but haven't been re-knit). I'm thinking I should practice some toe-up heel techniques, but am finding myself with no desire to do so. Perhaps I should just do the two socks' heels differently, and see which I prefer, in use.

And now for your eye candy. When you come in our back door, you are in a little hallway that leads through a doorway to the front door. This mask is over that doorway. I like to think that this entity guards the portal.

No comments: