Friday, May 19, 2006

swim meet

Well, here's a part of my life I haven't shown you yet....

Since my daughter joined the high school swim team as a freshman, competitive swim has been a big part of our lives. My daughter had a wonderful swim experience in high school with hall-of-fame coaches Denny Hill and Liz Hill, and she currently swims for her university's Division III program.

I offer you here a picture of three 2004 Olympians. From left to right, Natalie Coughlin, Katie Hoff, and Kara Lynn Joyce. Kara Lynn was my daughter's "big sister" on the high school swim team during the 2002-2003 season. Kara set the age group record (no girl 18 or younger has ever gone faster) in the 50 yard freestyle that year (22.03), leading out the 200 freestyle relay that also still holds the national record. Our high school team was national number one that year.

(Being part of that swim team has been an incredible ride!)

The picture shows them on the medal stand this afternoon. Kara Lynn won the 50 freestyle.

The meet today was in memory of Erik Namesnik, a young local swim coach (and two-time Olympian) who was killed in a traffic accident on an icy road last winter.

Lots of famous swimming names swam, including Michael Phelps. I thought of offering you pics of (nearly) naked (nearly) men....

I did knit on the blue sock while I waited to be able to buy my ticket to the swim meet this afternoon...... (And I wore my Olympic socks to the meet!)

1 comment:

HPNY KNITS said...

hooray to your daughter! My son, who is only 4, also takes swiming lessons- great time to knit...
I love your 90-Yarn Sweater. its great, the close up shots are dazzaling. even if some yarns are not perfect, together it works to my eye.the idea is like the Kaffe Fassett pillow I made, with less colors :-)
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5826/2523/1600/kaffe_pillow.jpg