Thursday, June 29, 2006

Convergence

Convergence is a big fiber conference put on by the Handweavers Guild of America every other year. This year it's in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and today, my friend e and I went to check it out. We had fun petting all the yarn -- more kinds of yarn than I even knew existed, and I've been paying attention to fiber for a long time -- paper, and banana fiber? Of course we saw every kind of silk, bison, camel, alpaca, cashmere, angora, mohair, umpteen different kinds of cotton, linen, hemp, wool, wool, wool, wool, and a lot more I have forgotten. Lots of bead vendors, too.

The exhibits right on site at the convention center were small. I am used to big quilt shows, like the one in Chicago and Houston, and was surprised to find so little in the way of work-on-display at Convergence. There are lots of shows at other venues around Grand Rapids, but on a day trip (about two hours each way), I don't want to spend a lot of time driving around to other venues; I like having it all under one roof. The venue was certainly big enough to have accomodated more exhibits right on site.

We did some retailing, of course. I was pretty circumspect (thinking of the way-too-much of nearly everything I already have), but allowed myself a pair of socks worth of beautiful yarn, and some dynamite ribbon. Lisa Souza not only dyes some gorgeous yarn, but is very personable and nice to talk to. Laura Nicholson designs amazing ribbon. It was hard to choose just one..... Laura, also was fun to talk to. I had run across both of these women and their work on the web, and I recognized the work immediately when I saw it in person.

It was a good day.



3 comments:

I need orange said...

Do you remember the name of the people who had all the really unusual stuff? Paper yarn, and all those other small amounts of really different things?

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed Convergence; it's always a great time (especially the vendors) with wonderful classes. Some times there are not a lot of entries in the exhibits because many of us are holding down 40+ hours jobs and have to fit our weaving/spinning/knitting in at the edges. Others, like myself, give finished pieces away and so do not have anything that we could enter. More planning on my part could have gotten an entry. Hindsight is always 20/20. It was a great 4 days there. (jimtully@mchsi.com)

I need orange said...

It is fun to see your blog. Love Mom