Monday, January 01, 2007

old and new

Here is our most traditional New Year's Tradition -- stay home and make fudge.

We make the lowbrow kind. I think it's better than any other fudge I've ever tasted. On one night a year, all the fudge we care to eat. Mmmmmmmmmmm........



















And now for the new -- I'm trying the no-knead bread that has taken the blogiverse by storm.

I mixed the flour and water (and yeast and salt) yesterday afternoon at 5:00. It calls for a quarter teastpoon of "instant yeast." What I had was "active dried." I didn't know if it would work at all, and was prepared to add more yeast before I went to bed if I couldn't tell there was any yeast........

It smelled like wet flour for hours, but when we went to bed, there was a whiff of yeast.

Here's what it looks like this morning. It definitely smells like bread dough now.

















Wishing each of you a very happy new year, with some tradition, some stretching to try something new, some tried-and-true-things-that-come-easy, some not-so-easy-but-worth-it things, a lot of healthy, a little not-so-healthy-but-yummy.

3 comments:

Linda said...

I can't remember the last time I had fudge. I'm going to have to go look for the ingredients. Maybe even that marshmellow cream stuff which costs about $6 here.

Rowan said...

I always make vanilla fudge for Christmas - it's all gone now! Happy New Year!

I need orange said...

This recipe makes an enormous honking amount. I have frozen most of it..... :-) (It freezes beautifully -- and is lovely microwaved to an almost-melting consistency..... Mmmmmmmmmm.)