Wednesday, February 07, 2007

green

Isn't this the coolest vegetable you ever saw? Maybe even the coolest plant ever?

I bought this at the farmers' market last fall, because it was just too cool to leave behind. I love broccoli, and I like cauliflower, so I figured it had to be edible.....























Isn't it gorgeous? The most clear and obvious expression of fractals I've ever seen in a natural object.....

















It was good to eat, too. Not as amazing to taste as it was to look at, but good. Sort of a combination of broccoli and cauliflower, maybe -- or a mild and tender version of broccoli.

It hurt to break up that beautiful thing, but better that than letting it rot, I guess. I broke it up into individual spires, and boiled it until tender. I'll buy some more of these, just for how amazing they are, and reluctantly destroy them and eat them......

Read about Romanesco broccoli, and fractals, and see more images here.

3 comments:

I need orange said...

Wouldn't the outsides be way too done before the inside was done?

Presentation not *quite* everything, imh..... ;-)

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

This is a stunning looking vegetable, makes me want to draw it!

I need orange said...

I'm surprised that cutting an x in the bottom would be enough. Live and learn....

Andrea, if you ever do draw one of these, I surely hope I get to see the drawing. From looking at (and admiring!) your other work, I think your style would be just right for this beautiful thing.