Monday, February 11, 2008

Feb. 9 -- Pedigree awards dinner

.

The Pedigree Awards dinner was held in the American Museum of Natural History. How cool, to have it in such an interesting place, rather than some ballroom.....

My parents took me to the museum when I was five, and the one thing I remember from then is the life-size model of the blue whale. That was one thing I knew I wanted to visit, in New York.

You know how thrilled I was, as we walked through the museum to the place we would dine, when I discovered that this was the place.......

They were playing psychedelic lights over my whale, and a good thing, too, as this room is normally so dark (we visited in daylight the day after the dinner) that taking whale pics would be impossible! Here's the whale, in 60s-ish glory.

The rail you see in the lower right is for the stairs we descended to the floor below the whale.





Turning a bit to our left, we can almost see the room. Those gold things are the tops of bouquets on the tables......





The bouquets were very interesting -- spectacular, and raised so high that the people at the table could actually see each other past the arrangement. (Not that we could talk to the people across the table, because it was way too noisy, but it was a nice thought....)





The really (really) tall vases were full of leaves.....

The young woman in purple on the other side of the table is Junior Showman of the year for the second year in a row. She won a trip to compete at Crufts! Everyone was very much All Dressed Up.....





As you see, the tables were set with linens, flowers, candles, wine glasses, silver, more silver, more wine glasses.

We found our table, chose seats, and the waitstaff brought champagne.

There were a few speeches, and then they began to show the videos they made of all the honorees.

We had not seen the videos until that evening. They filmed for hours at the Polar Bear Picnic in Kingsport,, Tennysea, and we had no idea what they might have kept.

I was very pleased that they kept the part about CorgiAid being allllllll of us. That is the truest thing, the most important thing, about CorgiAid. It really does take every part of our CorgiCommunity to do the good work we do, and I am so glad that our video tells that truth.

After each video, honorees went up on stage and received awards.

I had no idea if these candle-lit pics would turn out -- isn't it cool that this one did? The flowers, the wine glasses, the candles, the award?





Once we were all up on stage, there was applause, and then the program was over and it was time to eat.

Our first course was a lovely mixed-green salad with citrus. It was garnished with a paper-thin slice of orange that was so dry it was crisp. I think it had been dipped in something sweet before it was dried. Yum.

The main course was a very nice filet. The last time I got fancy food like this was on the cruise ship last year. The portions there were quite small (thank goodness! -- you could always ask for more, but they didn't present you with more than you really wanted to eat!). Not so here -- it was a big piece of beef. Delicious, but I would have been happy with much less..... It was accompanied with tiny baby veggies -- zucchini smaller around than my index finger, tiny carrots, teeny beets.....

Of course the waitstaff brought the correct wines to accompany the food.

I knew dessert was going to be amazing, and I knew I was going to eat it. The only question was -- how sorry was I going to be, after?

I don't know why I only thought of taking food pics for dessert, but look.........



The Main Chocolate was a volcano -- molten in the middle. Wow. It was spectacularly good. That was my favorite. The raspberries were really good, too. I love butter pecan ice cream, but..... Something with molten chocolate is going to get me every time. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I did eat it, I was sorry. But not that sorry. I'm sure I'd do it again......

They say that dog people resemble their dogs. It is a rare corgi that ever turns down food, and when it's food like this, well, saying "no" wasn't in my cards, either. On my behalf I'll point out that one of our tablemates had to leave in the middle of dinner, and when his dessert plate sat there, crying, I did eat the raspberries but left, alas!, the chocolate...............



In order to facilitate chronological traverse of these NYC posts, a link to the next one is here.

.

No comments: