Thursday, May 01, 2008

goodbye, Y

The Ann Arbor Y used to be a very good place.

It was unaffiliated with any other Yrganizations. It was local, and inexpensive, and offered a lot of really good classes.

I took ceramics there, and when I was pregnant, I swam with a congenial bunch of similarly expanding women.

It was good.

Then someone decided it should affiliate with an organization that is age-specific, gender-specific, religion-specific. It became really expensive (I ask you -- $10 an hour for a group dance class for a four-year-old? Plus more than another dollar for parking? Please!).

I decided it didn't have much to offer me (besides excluding me, specifically, in multiple ways, in its name!).

Humph.

The organization has since moved to a new building (and I pity the people who live in its neighborhood and have a million Ycars parking on their streets!).

The old building, where I spent so many enjoyable hours, is almost gone.

This T-rex of a biting machine is working on disassembly.....











The pool is under the end that still remains.

No comments: