Wednesday, September 10, 2008

September 5, Saline fair -- produce and crops

.

Now here's some stuff I'm happy to eat.

We use canola oil. I had no idea what canola seed looked like. These are about the size of mustard seed.









Soybeans.





Assorted gourds.





Not the blue-ribbon eggs, but the most speckled. Wonder how you judge eggs without opening them!





Not the blue-ribbon corn, either, but I liked this better (more rounded, less shriveldy).





Note contestants for "tallest cornstalk" around the supports in the center of the building. That's pretty tall......

The tables on the right hold the competitors in the "flake of hay" class. (A "flake" is a section of a square bale, I believe.) It smelled good. My aunt and uncle farmed, when I was a kid, and I loved visiting them and playing in the barn with my cousins. It smelled so good.

I smelled some of the "flake of hay" competitors, and learned that the blue-ribbon one didn't have that characteristic smell. I know there are lots of different kinds of plants that can be "hay," and I don't know which one I think is the smell of hay....





Cranberry beans, competing in the "dry beans" category.





Some more red/white/blue.







.

No comments: