Wednesday, September 08, 2010

September 8 -- la Tour Eiffel, sparkling

.

After dark, the Eiffel Tower sparkles for a few minutes, every hour on the hour,  until after midnight.  I have seen this dozens of times from the webcam (in stop action; the image updates every 10 seconds), and have seen many sparkly Tower videos on youtube.

I wanted to see la Tour sparkle in person, so we trundled back downtown.

Here is something I really hoped to bring back for someone. One of my friends collects sunsets when she travels.  She wasn't satisfied with what she got in Paris. There was a wonderful sunset, the night of the 9th, and I thought I would capture it and bring it home for her.

Caught from the subway, on our way downtown.



Unfortunately, the sunset was faster than the train, and by the time we got downtown, the sky looked like this.  So that's one more thing not brought home for someone.


La Tour, lit up, but not yet sparkling.




Sparkling!



One thing I hadn't realized, before seeing it in person, is that each "spark" is star-shaped, rather than round.  It is a lovely thing to see.



Happy sigh. So glad I got to be there and see that in person!!!!!



Have I mentioned lately that I loooove my little camera?  I do!  It did such a great job with night shots!  Much better than I expected...........  What a good little camera.

Thank you, Panasonic engineers!



See my daughter's take on this excellent day here.



In order to facilitate chronological traverse of these posts, here is a link to the post that comes after this one.

.

2 comments:

morningbrayfarm said...

Great photos, Vicki! I think it's you just as much as the camera. I'm so glad you got to see it sparkle in person. :)

I need orange said...

It is certainly I who frames, and who dodges wires, tourist hordes, and other clutter. I who takes three shots of almost everything, so I have a better chance of a clear sharp image. I who crops, lightens, increases contrast...........

:-)

I do not deny my part in the final product.

But innit wonderful that we have such excellent tools so readily available to everyone, for capturing the originals? :-)

Me, too, so glad I got to go on the trip, and got to go see the tower sparkle, up close and personal. !!!!! :-)