Tuesday, February 08, 2011

February 5

.

Tall (taller than I am) grass outside the Pittsfield branch of the library. It's our regular Saturday library. During the week, I go to the downtown library, which is just a few blocks from my office. Unfortunately, there is no place to park at Main, now that "the library parking lot" has been replaced by the AnnArborsbad Cavern. If we are going to park, we don't go downtown anymore.

Pittsfield is much smaller than Main, downtown, but you can park.....

And it has some interesting plantings, which Main no longer has, now that its enormous front planter was destroyed to make a wasteland of ramp.



After we got home from our Saturday errands, we had lunch, and then discovered The Bucket List on tv. ( No wonder everyone would rather rent a movie [or check it out from the library] than watch it on tv. At least as many minutes of commercial as of movie!)

That's a good movie, if you haven't seen it. I am not a fan of Jack Nicholson; The Bucket List may be the only one of his movies that I can enjoy.  (A strong statement about how good the movie is!)



My daughter discovered that yesterday was World Nutella Day.  "We had a dream.  And a spoon."  :-)

We love Nutella.

I thought I might get this posted in time to participate in World Nutella Day, but I didn't.

After supper, my daughter made crepes, and we had Nutella on our crepes. (No pics, alas.) Now *that* is a real celebration of World Nutella Day!



When we ran our errands, there hadn't been any new snow for a while. As we went to the last couple of places, it started to snow.  While we watched the movie, it snowed quite a lot.

When Wilbur and I went out for our constitutional, I was surprised to find that there was at least 4" of new snow.

I took this pic in an attempt to show how deep it was.....



It was tall enough that Wilbur's trot was bouncier than usual, to help his feet clear the snow for his next step. You can tell by looking at his ears.

When we got home, I put him in the house and shoveled the sidewalk. I also shoveled for the neighbor who had blown our sidewalk during the blizzard.

I'd still rather shovel than mow!

Walking is something of an adventure.  Some people haven't bothered to clear their snow at all.  Some people with corner lots have not cleared the snow which fills up the ends of the sidewalks since the passage of the plow.  In some cases the plow left large amounts of snow in the streets, particularly at T intersections.  In many places, there is ice under the snow.  I did more slipping and sliding yesterday than the whole rest of the winter.

It's much harder to walk when there is 4" of snow (or more!) in one's path than when the pavement is clear and dry.......

.

4 comments:

Carolynn Anctil said...

Sounds like an excellent day of adventure & family fun. Wilbur looks like a wonderful sport with a jaunty disposition. I haven't tried Nutella, in spite of the fact that there has been a jar of it sitting in my cupboard since The Frenchman moved in 9 months ago. Perhaps I should make a special effort to taste it. *smile*

I haven't seen The Bucket List either. Will definitely put it on my...um...list. *smile*

morningbrayfarm said...

I would've never known it was World Nutella Day - thanks!

And yes, you can tell by his ears - I love it! He's a long boy... :)

Lorraina said...

I love Nutella too, especially on toast.
You know i always wondered about the pronounciation. In the past commercials they always said it like New- Tella and i thought that was weird because after all - it's made from nuts.
Well, what do you know- in the new commercials i'm pretty sure they're saying Nut - Ella
If so, maybe a better smarter marketing ploy or maybe it's just pronounced differently in different areas.
But no matter how it's pronounced it's still a family favourite!

I need orange said...

Carolynn -- W is a generally cheerful sort, always up for a constitutional or a snack. :-)

DEFINITELY try the Nutella!!!!!!! :-) It is lovely plain. We often eat it on graham crackers.....

One of the fun things about The Bucket List is that the Nicholson character is filthy rich, so their list items have no financial limits. They can do annnnnything. :-) (To enlarge the fantasy, both of them feel fine, despite the short time each has remaining....)

Justina -- I used to read more food blogs than I do now. Back in 2007 I happened across Nutella Day..... :-) But since then, I've been oblivious. It's too bad the button doesn't give the date -- I would gladly celebrate Nutella Day every year. :-)

Yes, the Amazing 300-Pound, Six-Foot-Long Beagle(ish) Dog. :-)

Lorraina -- I haven't had it on toast, yet. I can see that the heat from the toast would have a lovely effect......... :-) I will try that.

It wouldn't surprise me that pronouncing it Nut-ella is a marketing ploy. AND I bet it's pronounced differently in different places. Especially given that it's sold all over Europe. (At least, I presume it is, knowing that it's sold in France and Italy.)

We saw it in France, at the crepe-seller's, in jars that must have been a kilo at least. Huge jars..... :-) Another souvenir I did NOT bring home ... a vat of Nutella..... :-) At least that was a plastic jar, unlike the gallon glass jar of cooked beans that I also did NOT bring home..... :-)

In our house, we call the little available-here jars New-tella. :-)

For anyone else who would like to try it, look for it near the peanut butter, at your megamart. :-)