Saturday, December 29, 2012

December 25

.

We eat home-made cinnamon sticky buns on Christmas morning.  We make them on Christmas eve, and they rise in the fridge overnight.

Here they are (with, and without, nuts), on their way into the oven.




Once they are baked (I love my thermometer -- so nice to *know* when things are done, rather than guessing!), you flip them onto a plate and let the goo drain down their sides.



Mmmmmmmmmmm.  I don't think you can possibly have too many pecans...........

If you have people in your family who don't like nuts, I advise separate pans.  The nuts seem to percolate all over the pan, if you try for with-and-without in one pan.



Then we drove to visit Granddad.

A hearty "Thank you!!!" to all parents everywhere who have chosen places to live which include necessary levels of care.  This is a huge kindness to families, and I am exceedingly grateful to my parents for having made us this gift!

If you haven't yet made this sort of arrangement, be kind to your family, and get yourself situated in a good retirement-living situation before you "need" to.  Once you "need" to, you won't be able to (and probably still won't want to, "need" be damned), and someone else will have to drag you, kicking and screaming.  This is not nice for anyone.  Huge levels of utterly unnecessary angst result.

Think ahead.  Plan ahead.  Move to someplace you can be taken care of, as necessary, before you "need" to. 

Do not spend any nights on the floor because you are home alone and there is no one there to help you when you can't get up!   (And if you have already spent even one night that way, that is as clear a sign as you could possibly receive that you need to move, *now*, not at some nebulous future time!)

This has been a public service announcement.



The 25th was an ok day for driving.

Over the river, north, then east, east, and east (and a bit more north).


.

2 comments:

jennifer black said...

Yummy looking rolls!

Does it count if my daughter says she's already found the place she'll put me when I get old. ;-) (I just haven't said ok yet.)

Merry belated Christmas and Happy New Year. Hope it's a great one!

Jennifer

I need orange said...

They are yummy. A good thing we make them so rarely. :-)

No, it doesn't count if your daughter has found the right place. :-)

I was talking to a young man yesterday, who said that his father has signed papers giving him (the son) the ability to put him somewhere after the dad is no longer capable of making his own decisions.

This is not going to solve the problem -- people are considered to be "capable of making their own decisions" until all they can do is lie there and drool.

Info about this issue says specifically that there is no protection against people making BAD decisions. !!! As long as people are able to indicate "I want to stay here," nothing anyone else thinks is right for them has any weight in the eyes of the law.

Alas.

So -- you daughter having found a good place is a nice baby-size first step, but until YOU step up and DO it (whatever move "it" may mean), it hasn't happened.

Such a nightmare -- all of this. We, and my hub's bros, have been telling his parents to MOVE for years and years and years. We get back "We think we're fine for now" and that's the end of that.

His mom died last year; his dad has now spent his first night on the floor with no one to get him up, and is, for the moment, in rehab, expecting to go live alone at home when he gets out.....

He's starting to talk the talk about living somewhere else (he's 93!), but when pressed to walk the walk, he won't budge (on his frail and feeble legs)................

Argh!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, too!

I keep thinking I'll listen to a few more videos from Think Again before I decide about dis-enrolling, but so far I haven't managed to make myself do it (I think there's a message there......)..........