Friday, February 08, 2013

When did we learn how to make soup?

.

A lot longer ago than we used to think! 

This is an interesting article about recent research on the history of soup-making.
  
Apparently we used to think we first learned to boil stuff about 5000 years ago, but that date is way too recent.

"Neanderthals were probably cooking in some way, scientists have concluded. A 2011 study from the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences found evidence of cooked starch grains embedded in 46,000-year-old fossil Neanderthal teeth from Iraq."


Found via a link from the University of Michigan Record Update.

.
 

5 comments:

Leslie Hawes said...

So, what you're saying is I am a Neanderthal? I made soup today.
Hi, Miss Vicki.

I need orange said...

Naw, just saying our Neanderthal greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreat(etc!) grandmothers showed us all how to do it. :-)

I love winter food............... :-)

I need orange said...

ps -- so what KIND of soup, already?

Leslie Hawes said...

I typically make what I fondly refer to as 'leftover' soup. I start with onions, carrots and celery, and use canned tomatoes and pinto beans, as the base. From there, I add leftover bits of meat and rice, etc. Garlic, salt, pepper, oregano...

I need orange said...

Sounds good to me! :-)