Monday, September 30, 2013

September 21 -- the rest of the day

.

Farmers' market food.........  Squashes, including one that looks a lot like a shore bird lounging in a basket....



Radishes and tomatoes.




Zucchini and a really big rutabag.  Almost the size of a soccer ball!  I don't think I'd ever seen one this big before the 21st.



Peppers and more peppers!




Concord grapes.  These are seedy, but they are part of fall for me.  I like to eat them a few times, each fall....



Time for breakfast!  Carrot cake was the cake of the month, for September.  It's good!  Dense and solid, and not too much of the tasty cream-cheese frosting.  Mmmmmmm.

The Spanish drinking chocolate is really good, too.  One of these days, soon, that's what I'll have for breakfast.....



Heaven knows we can use more good signs!



Want to guess?

This is looking down into my glass of Nilgiri tea.  Love the colors..................




Later in the day.  I am learning so much about anatomy in dino class.  I had never heard of trochanters before I took this class.  The "ch" is pronounced like "k."  We learned about trochanters as bumps of bone which indicate strong (and, maybe, VERY strong) muscle pulls on the bone where the bump is.  You may remember I mentioned the caudofemoralis muscle being a major factor in how fast dinos could move.  The caudofemoralis attaches to this trochanter.  (This is a hadrosaur femur.)



I was amused, and perhaps you will be too, when I looked at this pumpkin at the grocery, saw the bumps, and immediately thought "Ah.  Trochanters!"


Well, perhaps not.  I don't think pumpkins have anything that even slightly resembles muscles, or bones, either, for that matter, so these can't be trochanters.  I thought it was funny that I saw bulges on the outside of a sizeable object and immediately thought of trochanters........ 

I wonder what did cause the bulges on the pumpkin!



Back home.  Comfy on the pillows on the cowshe.




Walking.  Me, Burt, Jane, and a maple leaf.




The Rat House is gearing up for Halloween.  Every fall, more and more rats gather in this yard.  There are a dozen or so, now, and by the end of October, there will be hundreds.

At the right you can see sidewalk chalk, and, barely visible behind the pinwheels, bubble juice.  These things are sitting out all the time, inviting people to draw pictures and/or blow bubbles.  Isn't that nice of them?  To offer us ways to amuse ourselves at their house?

.

No comments: