Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Dimetrodon!

.

We visit a lot of science museums, and we have a lot of souvenirs hanging around.

Last night I was talking to my better half about the things I am learning in Dino 101 (and in What a Plant Knows -- another great class).  I happened to notice this, standing on a shelf in the room, as it always does.




I really looked at it last night, and thought "Dimetrodon!"  And so it is (it says so on its belly!).

I began to tell my husband how Dimetrodon was not a dino, but rather was from before dinos, and how Dimetrodon was more closely related to us than it was to dinos.  I told him how the vertebrate family tree has branches depending on how many fenestrae are in the critters' skulls, and that our shared synapsid-idity is part of what we have in common with Dimetrodons but not with dinos........

I didn't know any of this, before this class, but I knew it all (and much more!), last night, and could eagerly share it.

Thank you, Dino 101 staff, for enriching my life.  :-)

.

No comments: